Got mead going... Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorson138

Reaction score
This time I have done something different than the previous batches... First of all I found a local honey supplier to get my honey from, absolutely delicious honey. The other batches I used 15lbs store bought honey 1 pck champagne yeast, 1tspn yeast energizer.

This time I am using 20lbs raw honey, 1 pck D-47 Lavlin yeast, 2tspns yeast energizer, the rest water. The type of energizer I'm using came from a brewing supply store here local and is supposed to be a superior mix of energizer. The rest is drinking water.

I know this is a ton of honey for a batch between 5-6gal, but I want it to finish sweet.

Mead is in secondary fermentation right now and bubbling about once or twice every 15 seconds. I am now in the 8-9th day of fermentation.

Here are my questions:
1.Would this be considered a slow or sluggish fermentation? It was much much faster during the first 4-5 days bubbling 2-3 times every 10 seconds.

2.Is this so much honey that it will destroy the yeast or stall the fermentation before the yeast has done all it can?

3.At a temperature in the 70*-74* range when would you rack this mead for the first time.

When I started the mead I did not take spec gravity reading, however I took a reading 2 days ago and the potential alcohol reading was 13%.

Greetings.

Based on your questions here's my suggestions FWIW.

1.Would this be considered a slow or sluggish fermentation? It was much much faster during the first 4-5 days bubbling 2-3 times every 10 seconds.

I wouldn't call this a slow/sluggish fermentation, it sounds to me like it's doing exactly what it should be doing. Maybe add in some additional energizer & nutrients. Read up on Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA).

2.Is this so much honey that it will destroy the yeast or stall the fermentation before the yeast has done all it can?

If you didn't make a yeast starter, beyond just re-hydrating the D47, then I'd suggest aerating the must, and also the addition of nutrients. Again, check out SNA.

3.At a temperature in the 70*-74* range when would you rack this mead for the first time.

This is a big mead, so patience is your best virtue. I would try and keep the fermentation temp. range as close to 70ºF as possible. I think if you get hotter than that the potential for off flavors, etc. becomes much greater. Personally, I wouldn't rack this until the bubbling is once a minute or so. This mead may be in primary for 6-8 weeks, maybe longer.

Overall, it sounds to me like this mead is right on track, I think you just need to wait it out, don't rush it, and nurture your little yeasty friends. Keep us posted on how it turns out!!

Cheers
Travel_Mon

I really appreciate your reply... It really sets my mind at ease. When I started the mead I put in 1tsp of yeast energizer. That was on 8-27. Then again I added 1tsp 2 days ago, which caused the fermentation to pick up pace for a little while. Then today I added an additional 1tsp of energizer. It is bubbling at this time about 4 times per minute. I have read the staggered nutrient addition guidelines, but don't thoroughly understand if I'm doing this correctly. I understand that too much energizer could destroy this mead. I don't want to do that. I will allow this batch to work off until it's ready, that is not a problem, I just want to be sure I'm doing things correctly. If I'm sure it's moving along well, I don't mind waiting. The end result will be SOOO worth it! Thanks again for your reply.

thorson138

Back