Carrots, quinoa and rice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliefoxtrot

Reaction score
I received the Brooklyn BrewShop's Beer Making Book for Christmas this year. It's definitely aimed at beginning brewers (all science is scrubbed from the process, but I have other books for that), and the recipes stretch creativity towards the gimmicky end, but there's a lot of interesting stuff, including a few gluten-free brews. All but one involve home-malted buckwheat, which seems like a popular technique, but one of them is weird:

Gluten Free Carrot-Pils:
1 pound carrots
0.5 pounds basmati rice
1 pound red quinoa
0.2 pounds rice hulls
ABV: 3.5%

Now, I've seen recipes using sweet potato as the source of diastatic enzymes. Is it possible that carrots do too? And possibly other, totally unrelated root vegetables? The book, as I said, is utterly unscientific, to the point of not even using the word "enzymes" (or "starch" for that matter--they merely refer to it as "sugars"), so there's no illumination to be had there. Neither the rice nor the quinoa is malted, so they can't be the source of enzymes. What's the deal? Will this recipe even work?

I've made this. Do not even attempt to do it: total failure. This is the only thing I ever made that I poured down the drain without even bottling.

My guess is that they mean for you to malt the quinoa, they just forgot to say it or put it in a little foot-note somewhere. Carrots do not have enzymes, nor do any other root vegetables that I know of. Bananas are supposed to have enzymes, too, but my experiments with banana and sweet potato have shown them to be negligible in converting starch. Get yourself some diatase enzyme from EC Kraus, or see if you can track down the user beljica and bug him for his Promalt, if you want to try your hand at brewing all-grain without malt.

This is what I was looking for as I noticed the same recipe... I was planning on cutting the hops way down since swmbo doesnt care for apas and ipas... do I need to add some amalyse enzimes to the mash?

Back