Most Desirable Hops for 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of Columbus. Not really sure why, but they've always seemed to stand out to me.

Well, since I hate citra, that's not one on my list! :D

The only hops I bought this year are amarillo, 2 pounds from hopsdirect. I already have a ton of hops, including 2.5 pounds of simcoe.

I tend to buy magnum (or another clean bittering hop variety), and some C-hops but this year my crop of centennial, chinook and cascade as phenomenal so I didn't buy any.

I have about 12 pounds of hops (maybe more) in my freezer right now, since the hopsdirect order came yesterday.

I still buy a few others like northern brewer and willamette, after the hops frenzy dies down a bit.

I've been on an Amarillo kick lately. Just bought a pound of that, northern brewer and cascade. I need to get some magnum...

Amarillo, Simcoe, or Cascade have been my personal favorites as of late. All go well in combination with one another or all together and even better with a small amount of Citra in the background.

Made a 100% Falconers Flight American Wheat and I was very impressed with the hop. Used .33 oz for bittering and .66oz for finishing. Definitely a more hop forward American Wheat, although it wasn't bitter sitting at 21 IBUs.

And although I didn't like it at first, Mosaic is starting to grow on me.

I've really been enjoying Calypso in beers ranging from ESB to Tripel. Also Galaxy. Got .5# of experimental variety but haven't tried yet--notes say lemon & pine.

Maybe some Amarillo, but I would really like to try Germany's new release... mandarina bavaria hops. Can't find them in the states just yet.

I just got in Cirta and Simcoe, will be ordering Centennial, Cascade, Saaz, Saphir, Amarillo, and a 10lb bale of Columbus.

Mosaic will be a pain to get this year, I think. It really only came into prominence within the last year or so.

nelson sauvin, mosaic, galaxy, sorachi ace, cascade, and simcoe/chinook

can anyone help me find someone who sells all these varieties by the pound in pellets, please!!!!!!
i just looked in the sponsor forum and that was no help
hopsdirect had none of these except for cascade!

Made a fairly hoppy pale ale that fell short of an IPA by perhaps 10 IBUs. Generous amount of cascade hops got a nice citrusy flavor, huge hit with everyone who tried it.

LOVE2BREW is in NJ and has all of these I believe.

Also could try http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/, they sell in bulk and prices seem good.

can anyone help me find someone who sells all these varieties by the pound in pellets, please!!!!!!
i just looked in the sponsor forum and that was no help
hopsdirect had none of these except for cascade!

Well, since I hate citra, that's not one on my list! :D

The only hops I bought this year are amarillo, 2 pounds from hopsdirect. I already have a ton of hops, including 2.5 pounds of simcoe.

I tend to buy magnum (or another clean bittering hop variety), and some C-hops but this year my crop of centennial, chinook and cascade as phenomenal so I didn't buy any.

I have about 12 pounds of hops (maybe more) in my freezer right now, since the hopsdirect order came yesterday.

I still buy a few others like northern brewer and willamette, after the hops frenzy dies down a bit.

Noooo! I brew almost exclusively with Citra!

How did you get 2 lbs? Split order? :off:

To stay on topic I really love Simcoe. I think it has made an appearance in almost every brew I've done in one way or another.

Don't know about Yooper, but I pre-ordered two pounds through Farmhouse and another two through Labelpeelers. Farmhouse already delivered, Labelpeelers says they'll be shipping within the next 10 days +/-. Can never have too much Amarillo on hand - even if only for barter.

Surprisingly it's been easier to score random pounds of Citra than Amarillo. I have plenty on hand - good thing as it's a favorite here...

Cheers!

Just joined the forum but been brewing a while and I seem to be mad on just 3 whether brewing or drinking!

Chinook, Citra, Cascade

I've even gone a bit extravagant and have plans for a couple of super hoppy late-boil-hop only brews just to see how much of their flavour I can get :)

I always keep a few pounds of cascade, centennial, amarillo, citra and simcoe around and then fill in with warrior, horizon, columbus and chinook

gwapogorilla said:
Maybe some Amarillo, but I would really like to try Germany's new release... mandarina bavaria hops. Can't find them in the states just yet.

Agree. Want to try those

Latest posts

Back