Motueka Hops? Where are they?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
In a couple months I'm gonna be brewing a couple beers. An IPA that I use a lot of motueka hops and I'm gonna try to make a bigger version of my IPA into a double IPA. So I need at least a pound of motueka hops. Anyone know where to find a pound at a reasonable price? I can't find anywhere that sells by the pound. Does anyone know when these hops will be back in stock everywhere?

I got mine from Farmhouse some time ago, but I see they're currently out of that variety...perhaps it's too late in the southern hemisphere season, and you might have to wait for their next harvest later this summer...

That's a bummer. I'll have to brew something different int he meantime

biochemedic said:
I got mine from Farmhouse some time ago, but I see they're currently out of that variety...perhaps it's too late in the southern hemisphere season, and you might have to wait for their next harvest later this summer...

I totally didnt even think of the difference in season in the southern hemisphere. Very good point.

Whats ur Marris Otter Motueka SMaSH recipe???????? i'd be very interested in trying that!

I totally didnt even think of the difference in season in the southern hemisphere. Very good point.

I've noticed the NZ hops are always the first to show up every year because of that

Whats ur Marris Otter Motueka SMaSH recipe???????? i'd be very interested in trying that!

#1 - Marris Otter base malt
#2 - Motueka hops

But seriously, I target around 1.060 OG for my SMaSHes, and bitter to about 45 IBU's but using all late additions (usually 20, 15, 10 or 5, and flameout) a la 'hopburst' style. I tend to mash somewhat high ~156*F so I have a little body and let the grain shine a bit along with the hops. Has a nice fruity aroma, and IMHO makes a nicely balanced pale ale!

I think the hops harvest in NZ was 6 weeks ago. Should start seeing fresh pellets soon.

I know I usually start seeing the current year's NZ hops sometime in the summer...

Did you try freshops or midwest?

Freshops is a great hop source, but FWIW, they only sell US grown whole hops...

Kmcogar said:
In a couple months I'm gonna be brewing a couple beers. An IPA that I use a lot of motueka hops and I'm gonna try to make a bigger version of my IPA into a double IPA. So I need at least a pound of motueka hops. Anyone know where to find a pound at a reasonable price? I can't find anywhere that sells by the pound. Does anyone know when these hops will be back in stock everywhere?

Label peelers has them for 23 bucks a pound.

I Work For Barley And Vine (Www.Barleynvine.Com) And I Remember Seing A Few Pounds In The Hop Cooler The Other Day. It Should Be On The Website, If Not, Give The Shop A Call Monday And Ask For ME, I'll Make Sure And Get Them Sent Out That Day To You.

Michael

In my glass! Went on a big motueka kick when I bought a pound. Great in farmhouse bieres

I got my NZ hops from midwest,but basically bought a mixed pound. I'm using motueka & a few others in my NZ hopped Moari IPA in primary a week now. Can't wait to dry hop it.

unionrdr said:
I got my NZ hops from midwest,but basically bought a mixed pound. I'm using motueka & a few others in my NZ hopped Moari IPA in primary a week now. Can't wait to dry hop it.

I've been working on a similar recipe. I want to make an IPA using about 4 NZ hop varieties. Just trying to get an idea of which ones pair nicely.

I used BS2 to design the PB/PM BIAB recipe. I bittered with .3oz pacific gem 60 minutes. 1.2oz motueka @25 minutes,1.2oz pacifica @ 17 minutes,& 1.2oz wakatu @ 9 minutes left in the boil. I looked up the flavors,etc on midwest for reference. Their grain,extract,& hop descriptions are a great reference material. I'll be dry hopping 1 week with the remaining .8oz of each flavor hop. IBU 57.4,so we'll see how that works out.

Just started to see the NZ beers rolling in this month in my area and boy are they good!. I bought my NZ hops in Feb...might have even been last years harvest. Plan on march as the tail end for ordering the Southerners.

unionrdr said:
I used BS2 to design the PB/PM BIAB recipe. I bittered with .3oz pacific gem 60 minutes. 1.2oz motueka @25 minutes,1.2oz pacifica @ 17 minutes,& 1.2oz wakatu @ 9 minutes left in the boil. I looked up the flavors,etc on midwest for reference. Their grain,extract,& hop descriptions are a great reference material. I'll be dry hopping 1 week with the remaining .8oz of each flavor hop. IBU 57.4,so we'll see how that works out.

The one I'm designing is a Green Bullet, Galaxy, Motueka combo. Still working on it before I pull the trigger and brew it though.

Back