Can i re use used wine corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleWhomper

Reaction score
I'm trying it on 4 bottles of my home made stuff and if it works I'm gonna keep going. I just took used ones and shoved them in the bottles. No soaking, no boiling. I did this three weeks ago and there is no leakage. I'm more concerned with maybe the wine from the initial bottle soaked into the cork and. Maybe that would spoil my homebrew?

I guess now that I think about it would be if corks absorb wine? And would said wine soaked cork turn into a vinegar soaked cork and act as a starter on the new bottle the second time around?

I guess now that I think about it would be if corks absorb wine? And would said wine soaked cork turn into a vinegar soaked cork and act as a starter on the new bottle the second time around?

It's not so much the old wine in it, but using a cork screw puts a big hole in the cork. Also, corks are compressed to put them in the bottle, then they expand to seal the bottle tightly.

Corks are not reusable.

Also think about where the cork might have been. You are picking up a cork that has been who knows where and putting it in YOUR wine you worked hard to produce. Uh no! You are risking infection, etc. to your wine.
I buy 100 premium corks for $24.00.

With as long as it takes wine to get "good" I'd hate to infect it with a potentially bad cork. If you want to save money, put it into bombers and cap them.

I have a reputable source for used corks... My restaurant. I have my bartenders save them for me. It's not like I'm picking them up off the street or anything. I know they're cheap too but the homebrew spot is way out of the way. I was just curious is all. What's the worst that can happen? I get vinegar?

I have a reputable source for used corks... My restaurant. I have my bartenders save them for me. It's not like I'm picking them up off the street or anything. I know they're cheap too but the homebrew spot is way out of the way. I was just curious is all. What's the worst that can happen? I get vinegar?

Or oxidation, or a spontaneous MLF, or the corks fail and you get mold or a different bacterial contamination.

Vinegar would be the best out of any of those, but it isn't that easy to get vinegar without a mother of vinegar or another source. It'd be far more likely to have issues with other mold and bacterial contamination and oxidation.

So really the biggest threat is air getting in and not a contaminated cork. What if I seal with wax on top of the old cork? That would effectively make an air tight seal. I'm not experiencing any leakage from the bottles so that would be the fail safe.

My God man are you Scottish? Heck I've got bags of cheap corks that came with wine kits I'll give you.

Do Not reuse corks! not only can they harbor bacteria after sitting, and they are full of microbes that are impossible to sterilize away and nooks and crannies within. Corks can carry molds that, when in contact with chlorine molecules, can create the nasty, swampy “corked” aroma.
Not only that, used corks have already expanded, when reused, you run the major risk of air getting past the cork and the wine getting oxidized.
This isn't the right way to save money.

pumpkinman2012 said:
Do Not reuse corks! not only can they harbor bacteria after sitting, and they are full of microbes that are impossible to sterilize away and nooks and crannies within. Corks can carry molds that, when in contact with chlorine molecules, can create the nasty, swampy “corked” aroma.
Not only that, used corks have already expanded, when reused, you run the major risk of air getting past the cork and the wine getting oxidized.
This isn't the right way to save money.

It was never about saving money. More of a question as to if I could reuse corks or not and what the ramifications/risks were to doing this.

Well heck, if you aren't worried about the ramifications of reusing corks, then why ask?
It's your wine, do what you see fit, I was simply trying to tell you why you do not want to do it.
If you wanted to hear if it was physically possible, I'm sure you could jam a used cork into a bottle of wine if you are not concerned about spoilage or bacteria, go for it.

pumpkinman2012 said:
Well heck, if you aren't worried about the ramifications of reusing corks, then why ask?
It's your wine, do what you see fit, I was simply trying to tell you why you do not want to do it.
If you wanted to hear if it was physically possible, I'm sure you could jam a used cork into a bottle of wine if you are not concerned about spoilage or bacteria, go for it.

Are you dense? All i said in my last post is it wasnt about the money! Do you even read these threads before you post? How about you join the conversation instead of regurgitating info that has been said by 3 other people. The only difference is you assume I'm broke and am trying to save money. What part of this thread says anything about that you condescending ass? It's know it all pricks like you that make this world a crappier place to live in.

Lmfao wow you condescending ass. I personally wouldn't reuse used corks but if I were too I would use the synthetic ones as you would have a better chance of cleaning and sterilizing them better then natural corks.

Are you dense? All i said in my last post is it wasnt about the money! Do you even read these threads before you post? How about you join the conversation instead of regurgitating info that has been said by 3 other people. The only difference is you assume I'm broke and am trying to save money. What part of this thread says anything about that you condescending ass? It's know it all pricks like you that make this world a crappier place to live in.

Are YOU dense? If it's not about saving a few bucks, what kind of idiot would reuse corks?

Well, it was nice "knowing" you!

See ya!

Ill take 'em!!! Lol

If your near Ottawa I'll drop em off, any further and these cheap agglomerated corks aren't worth the shipping. These things are only 60 bucks for a bag of 1000...but when nice solid long #9 corks are only 80 bucks why bother using the crappy ones that blow apart into little pieces.

holy lord! I just had a chance to read the reply...wow! I don't know what to say....I guess if you don't want to hear the same advice that at least a half dozen people have told you...then I'll say it again, why even ask?
I'm surprised that this kind of bashing is tolerated here.
Why not have a nice drink of that wine you are re-corking, look at the bright side, if all goes bad...you can them make a lot of salad dressing at your restaurant...lol...Now there is a bright side to everything...

I have re used a few myself. I drill a hole end to end and insert a coffee stirrer in the hole. Paint it red and I have a slip cork for crappie fishing. I use new corks for my hard earned wine. It takes yrs to grow fruit trees then the labor and time racking waiting and such. Used corks have a hole from the cork screw not to mention mis-shapened. So even if they can be sterilized I would not trust them.

I'm curious why you want to reuse corks in the first place. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I'm just curious. What do you want to accomplish?

Think you might be overreacting just a bit? The guy was trying to help you.

Well, you can at least get an idea for the people that populate the posts here. There are some really good people, then, there are people that need the cork removed with a protractor... :)

Consider that it's merely 6 years after the OP first postulated their question; the world is changing drastically, and will likely continue to do so. Imagine a scenario where there's a supply chain shortage, or not everyone has accessibility to purchase new corks. The question stands; is reusing corks a viable solution for preserving wine? Not ideal,or perfect, or desirable; but can it work? And if so, what would be the path forward towards achieving the best possible outcome from doing so? Clearly, natural cork has unforgiving attributes that make it non conducive to reuse due to potential for contamination. But, what about synthetic? The question isn't really if it's right; it's if it's possible. And, if so, what would be the best way forward?

Wow, there were some flamers around back in 2013-2014. ;)
Before I found a local source of corks, I did reuse some. I tried to find those without a hole all the way through, or the hole seemed to be sealed. I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher using the sanitize and heated dry cycle. Put my corks in the silverware rack. Then I soak the bottles and corks in a metabisulfite solution before bottling. This is more for the O2 scavenging. After corking, I wax the tops. I did have one cork blow out and a little leaking from one or two, but no vinegar or other off flavors in those batches.
So, MY final answer is that while not ideal, it can be done.

Back