5 Gallon Bourbon Barrel Aging Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Hi, 2 days ago I racked a 10% Imperial Oatmeal Stout into my 5 gallon oak barrel that's been holding Makers Mark in it for a few months. I poured out the remaining bourbon and transferred the beer right in there, purged the head space, and shoved in an airlock.

My question is.... how long has anyone aged in a barrel this size for circumstances similar to these and what were the results? I aged an Oatmeal Stout in here last time for 6 days and it was really good but I think it needed sone more time. Just wondering what some thoughts are. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20130205_102239.jpg

It's really hard to give a definite 'this is the right amount of time' answer.

The best way to tell is to get yourself a stainless steel nail, drill a whole the size of the nail, and plug it with the nail. You can pull the nail to draw a sample whenever you please and as soon as you're happy - pull the beer!

The nail idea sounds very clever! Perhaps ill try that for the next one that goes in there. I'm just wondering what others have done and what the results were for some comparison. I will definitely be sampling throughout!

Back