Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You look fine to me, My stout looks similar during the ferm process. Now, if you don't want beer in there you might be in trouble. Cause that looks like beer to me.

yeah, those look like yeast rafts. I have a belgian dark strong ale in secondary that looks the same way. Over time, as the yeast does its thing those should dissapate. I might be wrong but that's what I look for as far as when it's done. When those "rafts" dissapate I feel it's ready to drink.

This is my cider after 3 weeks. Do you think it's still fermenting or do I have an infection?

image-3322346359.jpg

Looked like this 4 days ago (one month after brewing, 2nd week in the secondary)

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

Now, the bubbles are gone, but it has what looks like a fine layer of dust on the inside of the walls, and what looks like a second yeast "cake" forming in the middle of the carboy...

Help a brotha out..

Have you taken a sample? If it still tastes alright, You're fine. Stouts - the few that I have done, can get MESSY. Also, I just had to dump a batch yesterday :( the taste was AWFUL. You'll know that way for sure man.

Just tried a sample. It doesnt taste bad at all, its just tastes... different. It may be on the verge of picking up something. I dont know. I think Im still going to do what I had planned on with the new "infection" and put it on some cherries for 2 months and then on oak for another 3 months. I dont know. I might just keg it. Whatever. I dont know.

I had one like that from AHS recently....I thought it had gone bad but....I just renamed it from "Aramis Saison" to "Sour Aramis Sasion" and it's actually been fine. We're almost done with it. There's an element of something in there but it's not too offending. Most people have had it and said they grew more fond of it as the glass was empty. Go figure.

Anyone know what I might have going on here? It was just an improvised IPA to use up some hops - this occurred in secondary after forgetting about it and leaving the hop bags (one leaf, one pellet) in there for a couple of months. The seal on the bottle was terrible too.

719157.jpg

719156.jpg

Many thanks!

Accidentally forgot to pitch the yeast and left my wort in the fermenter with the lid on but not air locked for a week. Noticed I hadn't locked it up and pitched the yeast and went over and looked in to see this. Think it's salvageable or should I just dump it?

image-3036979363.jpg

image-3594702763.jpg

JoeBrewing said:
Accidentally forgot to pitch the yeast and left my wort in the fermenter with the lid on but not air locked for a week. Noticed I hadn't locked it up and pitched the yeast and went over and looked in to see this. Think it's salvageable or should I just dump it?

Scrape that crap off the top, pitch some yeast, and try it. That's the only way you're gonna know.

I got two batches here that are infected.

This one I have no idea what it was, but it smelled like nail polish remover. Looked like there was a layer of translucent skin on the top. It was supposed to be a bravo/falconers IPA... But now shes down the toilet. Made the bathroom smell like nail polish remover for an hour.

DSCF6925+(1280x960).jpg

This one I think is a lacto, but wouldn't mind a second opinion. I am thinking of letting it ride. It was a habenero stout... Maybe now its a funky lacto hab stout? The shot is above through the mouth of the carboy.

DSCF6924+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Are there any bubbles? I've gotten the lacto infection on 3 batches this past summer and they all looked like a lunar landscape. They all had what u have but then there were lots of bubbles on top too.

Are there any bubbles? I've gotten the lacto infection on 3 batches this past summer and they all looked like a lunar landscape. They all had what u have but then there were lots of bubbles on top too.

No, no bubbles. It kind of looks like a textured ceiling. Any ideas what it is? Doesn't smell bad or anything.

Could still be lacto. I'm pretty sure one of my gruits picked up lacto and there were no bubbles either.

This is no where near as impressive a everyone elses but I've got little white dots all over the surface in my secondary. I know it's got a huge headspace and it's prob infected.

image-2534461707.jpg

This is no where near as impressive a everyone elses but I've got little white dots all over the surface in my secondary. I know it's got a huge headspace and it's prob infected.

View attachment 84584

Can't be absolutely certain but I just bottled a batch of ESB on Saturday, it had started getting a bunch of little white specs on top, that had looked almost identical to your pic, on Friday. By Saturday morning, and with a little warming, they had turned into what looked like clumps of very fine CO2 bubbles.

I'd say there's a good chance you're, more than likely, OK.

IDK But I think that just looks like little yeasties doin their thang... If they start to grow and cover the surface then I'd say you might have something.

Dear lord, as someone 3 days into their first primary in an opaque bucket, this is some scary stuff. I need to peek when I get home...

A little freaked though by the idea that just because there's a sorority's house full of crud growing on top doesn't mean it's going to be terrible... What percentage of your brews end up with a scary-looking infection on top?

Dear lord, as someone 3 days into their first primary in an opaque bucket, this is some scary stuff. I need to peek when I get home...

A little freaked though by the idea that just because there's a sorority's house full of crud growing on top doesn't mean it's going to be terrible... What percentage of your brews end up with a scary-looking infection on top?

If I see them during fermentation - 100%.

If I ignore them for a couple weeks - 0%

Do yourself a favor and leave it alone for at least 2 weeks. You don't want to see what the yeast are doing anyway. :)

hey all, hope this isn't too OT for this thread, but I just noticed something hoping for some feedback. Have an EdWort's apfelvien in the back of the closet now for about a year aging. Apparently the day I went to put the solid stopper in the carboy to age it, I actually forgot to do that. so, a year later, and a dry airlock, and I look to see that when I shine a light through it, there are long wispy feather-like translucent fairy wings floating from the wine's surface down into the wine. Anybody have any clues what that might be? Nothing floating or growing on the top... just the fine wispy fingers

THANKS

Submitting my first candidate. This is a picture of something at the water line in the neck of a bottle. I saw it in another couple bottles from the same batch. I shook one of them a little to see what would happen and the little wafer-like thing slowly sunk. Beer has been in the bottle about a month now. Anyone wanna wager a guess what this is?

IMG_0607.JPG

(sorry for the cross post, I posted this a few days ago in another thread).

This is a porter in secondary fermentation. After 4 or 5 days, I noticed these little blooms on top. They were tough to get photos of through the glass and I didn't want to take the stopper out. They are off-white and smallish with a little nucleus that fades at the edges. They really reminded me of Chicken Pox!

After another week or so, these disappeared and the airlock began to pressurize and burp occasionally. I finally sampled it and it's not bad. Tough to judge an uncarbonated porter, but it was not sour like a lambic. I kept trying it, so it must be beer! It did seem to fall another 0.003 points from the gravity I measured going into secondary

Finally, I stirred the bottom with a degassing wand and re-racked it. Any ideas?

batch10-001.jpg

batch10-002.jpg

Any ideas what I've got going on here? 3 week old porter.

image-1970554416.jpg

Attachments

• image-3812603475.jpg
    image-3812603475.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 671
FastAndy said:
Any ideas what I've got going on here? 3 week old porter.

I've got the same thing on a raspberry wheat. It's been like that for a few months. I'm not sure what to with it.

FastAndy said:
Worth hanging onto it? It's only a gallon.

I'm reluctant to dump any beer. Maybe someone else can chime in as to how it tastes. I haven't had the pleasure. You could always just try it, it can't kill you.

2 weeks in secondary at 60 degrees

All 3 carboys are the same batch of beer, left is the worst, right shows the first signs of the same and the middle looks fine.

What is it and what should I do with it?

20121125_201008.jpg

20121125_201000.jpg

20121125_201017.jpg

I brewed a sweet stout as my first batch last night, this morning I get up and this is what I see with my airlock happily bubbling along. Is this right?

IMAG0065.jpg

Elbaryn said:
I brewed a sweet stout as my first batch last night, this morning I get up and this is what I see with my airlock happily bubbling along. Is this right?

Looks completely normal.

Cheers!

Back