Monster Mill 3 - 2.0: Standard, Stainless or hardened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlieNH

Reaction score
I am going to spoil myself and splurge for a Monster Mill 3-2.0 (http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-320.html)

Should I get the standard rollers, hardened rollers, or stainless?

I am leaning toward standard. I brew 20 gallons once a month, typically working with 2-10 gallons batches and 30#s of grain per batch.

I want this mill so I can get a consistent crush and to have predictable efficiency. I can keep it in a dry place when it is not in use.

My thought is that I don't need to worry about rust. With the small amount I am crushing per year that the hardened rollers won't make a difference.

Does anyone disagree with that?

Thanks,
Erik

While there is a bigger wow factor with a 3-roll mill, I'm not sure that its worth the cost or hassle. My LHBS has a 3 roll Crankenstein and it seems to be nothing but trouble.

Moving to the large roller size is wise, but introducing the extra complexity might end up causing hair loss. A friend of mine has the MM-2 2.0 and it has served him well.

Just a thought.

IMO, the stainless is not needed for where you are. With the amount you're brewing, I'd go with the hardened rollers. I actually went with those on my MM2-2.0 mill.

If you want to check out my MM2-2.0 in person, let me know. Auburn to Nashua isn't all that bad a shot (38-48 minutes).

Golddiggie said:
IMO, the stainless is not needed for where you are. With the amount you're brewing, I'd go with the hardened rollers. I actually went with those on my MM2-2.0 mill.

If you want to check out my MM2-2.0 in person, let me know. Auburn to Nashua isn't all that bad a shot (38-48 minutes).

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up in that. It would great to connect with a local brewer.

mabrungard said:
While there is a bigger wow factor with a 3-roll mill, I'm not sure that its worth the cost or hassle. My LHBS has a 3 roll Crankenstein and it seems to be nothing but trouble.

Moving to the large roller size is wise, but introducing the extra complexity might end up causing hair loss. A friend of mine has the MM-2 2.0 and it has served him well.

Just a thought.

Good feedback. LHBS seem to have a lot of issues with all mills due volume as well.

I will definitely give the 2 roller consideration.

The MM2 will be easier to adjust. Not sure how often that will matter.
The MM3 is not only more involved to adjust, but it requires a precise adjustment. If the MM3's rollers are not perfectly aligned, it may suffer from binding. That said, your rollers need to be well aligned on any mill for the highest quality crush.

The MM3 will also require much more torque than the 2 roller, especially if you want to condition your malt or run a lot of wheat. This will play a factor in drill used or how you motorized it. I doubt you would ever need to condition your malt on the 3 roller fwiw.

Crush quality: the MM3 produces a gorgeous crush with fantastic husk integrity. Probably not significantly better than the mm2 2.0.

My MM3 provides a great crush at normal speeds. I haven't tried running it really fast to see what it would do. I did turn my drill down to just above stalling Friday night. I should have taken a picture of the crushed grain. It was like the whole kernels popped out one side and left clamshell shaped husks. Had I bought it I would have went on up to the 2" hardened rollers, but it was my wife's parents that bought it for me. I wasn't gonna try to push my luck. I haven't had any trouble with rollers binding. I am a diesel mechanic and know my way around a set of feeler gauges though.

Does anyone know of any good coupon code out there for Monster Mills or online stores that sell them? Feel free to PM me if you wish.

I have a 3 roller MM. I don't know if I didn't see it or just didn't go for it at the time, but I would be happy to trade in the 3 roller mill for a 2 roller MM2.0. Not that I'm having any trouble at all with the mill. I love the thing!

I have a 3 roller MM. I don't know if I didn't see it or just didn't go for it at the time, but I would be happy to trade in the 3 roller mill for a 2 roller MM2.0. Not that I'm having any trouble at all with the mill. I love the thing!

Reach out to the man from Monster to see if you can do a swap/exchange for the MM2-2.0 direct from them. If you already have the base and such, you really just need the mill body.

Just a thought... :D

I have the MM 3 2.0 with hardened rollers it is a tank to get running but once you get it going has an amazing crush

I have the MM 3 -1.5 with the hardened rollers powered by a 1/3hp blower mtr. I don't see me out living this mill.

I've got the MM 2 2.0 with SS rollers. I chose the stainless over the hardened for two reasons: 1) I condition my grain and 2) I store my mill in my relatively damp basement. Figured the stainless was a nice bit of insurance for the longevity of the mill. I've only been using it since August, so I'm still getting adjusted to it (I've got 5 or so batches run through it at this point), and love the thing to pieces so far.

farm house brewing supply uses a Monster MM-3 2.0 with hardened rollers and love it. When I bought my MM-3 the business had just started. The didn't offer the 2" rolls. I have the stainless rolls and have had binding due to my hopper design. They didn't have the hopper offering then either. Once I fixed my hopper it works awesome. If I were purchasing now, I would buy the MM-2 with 2" hardened rolls. Would last a lifetime, if money were no object, MM-2 2.0 with the hardened rolls. The 3 roll is not hard to adjust. I agree the size is more beneficial than number of rolls.

Back