Design my APA!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm doing a last minute brewing session tomorrow to thin out some of my leftover hops. Since I just bought a 50 lb bag of 2 row, and the weather is finally warming up, I figured I'd go for an American pale ale.

My basic recipe is going to use 2 Row, light/medium crystal, and perhaps some Munich.

I have a bunch of other malts if someone has a suggestion.

My hops stash consists of the following:

Saaz 1oz
Willamette 1 oz
Northern Brewer (whole) 1 oz
Columbus 1 oz
Magnum 1 oz
Fuggles 1 oz
Kent goldings 2 oz
Hallertau 2 oz

suggestions?? Keep in mind I don't have time to go to the LHBS.

I'd say ~1lb Munich, 1/2lb crystal, and enough 2-row to get you where you want to be OG-wise. Not sure about the hops, would have said all-Columbus but I guess you don't have enough. I'm sure some hop gurus can work up something nice.

Does it have to be an American Pale Ale? Columbus is usually more of a bittering hop, although I suppose you could use it for flavor (maybe with the Magnum as a clean bittering hop). Or, you could go with more English flavors, like the EKG and Fuggles (a classic English Pale Ale/ESB combo). For an APA, I think of the citrusy varieties (Centenial, Cascade, Amarillo), which you're lacking.

The Hallertau and Kent Goldings go together quite nicely, and you have enough to dry hop with the KG's to do an english IPA. I'd use some Munich and crystal. I recently discovered that belgian biscuit is great in an English IPA.

I guess I'm not set on an APA. An English style IPA would work ok as well. I'm using California Ale Yeast for this (had it on hand, and just made my starter). I haven't decided how big to make this batch yet.

I do like the suggestion of an English style IPA utilizing the Hallertau, KG's and Fuggles. I could always use the magnums or Columbus for bittering for this as well to up the IBU's and stretch the other hops, (this may work, especially if I go for a 10 gallon batch).

What about the Willamettes used with the Columbus and the Magnums?? (I'm thinking Willamettes for flavor, with Magnum for bittering, and Columbus for aroma).

Biermann said:
Saaz 1oz
Willamette 1 oz
Columbus 1 oz
Magnum 1 oz
Fuggles 1 oz
Kent goldings 2 oz
Hallertau 2 oz

Go crazy. Dry hop with the Northern Brewer. Use Fuggles, EKG, Willamette and your Columbus in the boil. The Magnum could be boiled too. That should deplete your hops supply nicely.

Just leave the Hallertau for something a little more subtle. Seems a bit of a waste to toss them into an IPA. :mug:

Toot said:
Go crazy. Dry hop with the Northern Brewer. Use Fuggles, EKG, Willamette and your Columbus in the boil. The Magnum could be boiled too. That should deplete your hops supply nicely.

Just leave the Hallertau for something a little more subtle. Seems a bit of a waste to toss them into an IPA. :mug:

Yeah, I've got a Maerzen on the launching pad-- maybe I'll save the Hallertau for that.

hhmm. .

I don't mean to be a dick...but you really have to use English yeast to have an English IPA. With that ingredient list, I'd make an American amber, fairly hoppy.

Munich, medium crystal, northern brewer and willamette.

He didn't mention what yeast he had, Dude....

anyway, I'd be more concerned with the lack of Maris Otter, but what the heck, it's a "leftovers" batch and those can be fun too... :mug:

I am a big fan of Willamette. I like the idea of Magnum for bittering, Willamette and Columbus for the other additions. With the amounts you have though this would be for a 5 gallon batch.

Dude said:
I don't mean to be a dick...but you really have to use English yeast to have an English IPA. With that ingredient list, I'd make an American amber, fairly hoppy.

Munich, medium crystal, northern brewer and willamette.

No offense taken-- This is a leftover batch-- trying to use up some grain and thin out my hops supply. I even went to one of our homebrewer supply places this morning after taking the kids to school-- and it wasn't open, and doesn't open until late morning. So I'm either stuck making this some sort of leftover batch, or making a 20 mile dash to the store and back in little under an hour.

I like the American Amber idea, but I have 3 kegs of that style currently, and am looking for something a bit different.

Blender said:
I am a big fan of Willamette. I like the idea of Magnum for bittering, Willamette and Columbus for the other additions. With the amounts you have though this would be for a 5 gallon batch.
I may make this a five gallon batch anyway, seeing as my conical is currently occupied, and I hate splitting batches between carboys.

Although, if the beer turns out good, I'll regret not having made 10+ gallons. :D

Biermann said:
Ok, I'm doing a last minute brewing session tomorrow to thin out some of my leftover hops. Since I just bought a 50 lb bag of 2 row, and the weather is finally warming up, I figured I'd go for an American pale ale.

My basic recipe is going to use 2 Row, light/medium crystal, and perhaps some Munich.

I have a bunch of other malts if someone has a suggestion.

My hops stash consists of the following:

Saaz 1oz
Willamette 1 oz
Columbus 1 oz
Magnum 1 oz
Fuggles 1 oz
Kent goldings 2 oz
Hallertau 2 oz

Id bitter w/ N brewer, flavor w/ hallertau and saaz, then aroma/dry hop w/ K gold and fuggles...
ex:
1 oz N brewer (60)
1 oz hallertau (30)
1 oz saaz (15)
1 oz K gold (0)
1 oz Fuggle (dry)
1 oz K gold (dry)

I dunno you could just do eeny meeny miney moe...

Looking at what ya got on hand and with summer rapidly approaching I would scrap the APA/IPA idea and go for a cali Steam . . . but thats just me

Latest posts

Back