20 gallon Batch in a 10 gallon Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to brew a 20 gallon batch with a 10 gallon system?
Is this possible? What do I have to do, just double everything?
I would like to get four 5 gallon bucket's with a final 10 gallons of wort, by topping up with water at the end:)
I use the BrewPal software for iPhone! So it's easy just to double!!
Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks

Hop utilization will be less, and you'll have to account for your efficiency since you'll be mashing so much grain. Do you have the ability to scale batches and use top off water in BrewPal? If not download a trial of Beersmith, that should help you to calculate the differences you will see.

I've done some of this in the past, and I wouldn't really recommend it except for lower gravity beers. Like, lower than 1.045 but preferably in the 30s. I made 10 gallons of Mild with an OG (after topping off) of 1.039. I would worry that making a bigger beer would get too much melanoidin formation in the boil.

I've always felt that sometimes homebrewing makes us greedy for more MORE MORE beer, as quickly as possible, right now gimme! It's the same reason that people complain about wasting 4oz of wort to take a hydrometer sample... I still have to fight off my own greed sometimes and realize that if I take my time to make one A+ batch it's way better than having two B- batches.

Take the recipe and double everything except the 2 row (or whatever base malt you're using). Brew as if it were a 10 gal batch. 10 min before the end of the boil, add enough DME to make up for the base malt that you didn't double. After transferring to fermenters, top up to get your 20 gal.

Take the recipe and double everything except the 2 row (or whatever base malt you're using). Brew as if it were a 10 gal batch. 10 min before the end of the boil, add enough DME to make up for the base malt that you didn't double. After transferring to fermenters, top up to get your 20 gal.

I do this often. Worked well so far

Latest posts

Back