Mashing and Steeping ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayloncash

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a newb question that I think I know the answer too though could use some clairifcation.

I plan on making a Cream stout this weekend.

Do I have to STEEP the roasted barley, chocolate malt, etc.... OR can these grains just be added to the mash with other grains ?

Are there any pros or cons to this?

thanks.

Nope, just need to steep those. Most grains darker than 30 SRM (with Brown malt being the exception) do not need to be mashed.

No pros or cons, per se

Nope, just need to steep those. Most grains darker than 30 SRM (with Brown malt being the exception) do not need to be mashed.

No pros or cons, per se

If he is doing all grain ( which it seems he is) why not just throw em all in the mash tun. why mash some and steep some?

It is an all grain recipe, I have read alot about steeping those grains. My thoughts on it were the same as yours OHIO that, can't i just throw them all into the mash tun ? Would there be any negative side effects ?

Yeah, I was confused by the question at first but figured I'd just answer it as it was written :D

Yeah, it would be silly not to just throw them in the mash.

I asked this same question recently and one response said there would be slight difference in taste between steeping and mashing. I have never seen a recipe that called for both steeping and mashing before though.

Back