Is a half barrel keggle too big for 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I've been looking for a bigger stainless steel pot so that I can eventually do 5 gallon all grain batches and the most affordable option I can find are half barrel kegs (yes, they're legally obtained.)

My question is if a 15.5 gallon brew pot would be too big for 5 gallon batches? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a brew pot where you're only boiling in a third of the pot? Should I hold off on using a half barrel as a keg/mlt until I want to do 10 gallon batches?. Thanks.

i have used a half bbl keggle for 5 gallon batches for the past year no problems what so ever even better is the fact that when the time for 10 gallon batches comes you dont need to get a bigger pot always buy bigger than you think you will need.

go ahead and get the 1/ bbl. then when you are ready to step up to 10 gal batches you are good to go.

go ahead and get the 1/ bbl. then when you are ready to step up to 10 gal batches you are good to go.

I'm assuming there was a small typo. The 1/2 barrel will be plenty big enough for 10G batches as well :p

It will be be just fine for 5G batches, but don't take the headspace for granted. I've boiled over a 5G batch more than once in my keg :eek:

I almost boiled over last night with 5 gallons in a keg... Works great for 5 gallon batches though.

I brew 5g batches in a 15g aluminium kettle and have never had a problem. You certainly don't have to worry about boil overs!

Yes, you do! I've boiled over 5 gallon batches in a keggle. Even just starting with 6.5 gallons, you can boil over. I've done it more than once, too, because I'm a slow learner. :D

I'm assuming there was a small typo. The 1/2 barrel will be plenty big enough for 10G batches as well :p

It will be be just fine for 5G batches, but don't take the headspace for granted. I've boiled over a 5G batch more than once in my keg :eek:

Typo - yes. Meant 1/2 bbl

I've boiled over 5 gallon batches in a keggle. Even just starting with 6.5 gallons, you can boil over.

Same here...I use a 22 gal pot to do 5/10/15 gal batches. I think I get more spontaneous boil overs on the 5gal batches than with the 10 or 15.

It may have to do somewhat with me being more diligent when there is not as much head space (like for a 15 gal batch), but I really do not think that is the only reason.

Other than that, should be no issue doing whatever size batch you can within the size of your kettle.

Huh...I've never even come close to having a boil over, but everyone's system is different I guess.

I guess the more accurate statement from me would be "potential" boil overs.

The 5 gallon batches seem to have the tendency to foam up quickly to take up the available headspace in my pot. If the 10 to 15 gallon batches did the same I likely would have more issues with boil overs.

Probably can be all sorts of reasons, including applying the same amount of heat to a smaller volume, etc etc.

In actuality, I have not done many 5 gallon batches since scaling up my set-up as it takes little extra effort to double or triple the batch.

However, there are a few styles that I really don't need 10 gallons of, and higher gravity beers certainly reduce the max capacity of my system to 5 or 10 gallon batches when brewing all-grain..

A 5g batch is usually a 7gallon boil. Then you stick in a chiller. Keggles work awesome for brewing providing you remember a few things.

1. They are very heavy when filled with wort.
2. They stay hot a long time. A lot longer than you think.
3. Plan on a spigot and either a dip tube or false bottom type thing.

Personally I love my side draw diptube. Ive since added a thermometer and sightglass also good recommendations.

Latest posts

Back