Fermentation gone wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last night, O.G. 1.071 all-grain. Everything went smoothly. I had a small starter culture and pitched the yeast. Active bubbling in the air lock at just a couple of hours. Then I get home from work today, I walk into the apt and say to myself, it smells awfully yeasty in here...a little too yeasty. Of course its blown over through my air lock, onto the carpet (damn that decision not to leave the carboy in the spare bathtub). But I can't believe it blew over, I had about 5.25G of beer in a 6.5 G carboy. I've never had that much head space not be enough. Pain in my ass. Anyone else have that much head space not do the trick?

Cheers,
Mark

So I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last night, O.G. 1.071 all-grain. Everything went smoothly. I had a small starter culture and pitched the yeast. Active bubbling in the air lock at just a couple of hours. Then I get home from work today, I walk into the apt and say to myself, it smells awfully yeasty in here...a little too yeasty. Of course its blown over through my air lock, onto the carpet (damn that decision not to leave the carboy in the spare bathtub). But I can't believe it blew over, I had about 5.25G of beer in a 6.5 G carboy. I've never had that much head space not be enough. Pain in my ass. Anyone else have that much head space not do the trick?

Cheers,
Mark

Oh yea, I've had some doozies. There are plenty of stories here of brewers losing GALLONS of beer to fantastic blowoffs. Try pitching a 1.120 barleywine onto a Wyeast 3768 Scottish ale yeast, and infuse pure O2 for a few minutes. Make some popcorn and sit back... won't take long. Mount Visuvius.

Back