Brewing a Belgian white HELP RIGHT NOW !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad-Rabbit

Reaction score
OK, I have 6.6lbs of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME
1oz Kent Goldings aa 4.5%
1oz Bitter ORANGE PEEL
1OZ CORIANDER SEED

I have 2.5 gal of water almost to a boil. I'm going to add the LME then bring back to a boil and add the hops for 60 min.

I don't know how much or when to add the orange and the coriander.
I was told to add them at flame off 1/2 oz to 1oz of each and then remove after bringing the temp to the 80f.
Does this sound right?
How much would you use?
Thanks I have about 30-60mins of response time.
Thanks

I just made a wit with 1oz of tangerine peel and .7 oz of coriander. Tasted it last night after two weeks of fermentation and it tastes great. However, the coriander I used was very weak. I was able to chew on a seed and didn't get too strong of a flavor. Bite into a seed and if it's really intense, then use 1/2oz.

I added both ingredients with 10 mins left in the boil. Anything from 5-10 mins is generally what's used.

Thanks a bunch. This is my first wheat and I was hoping to go for a "Long Trail" type of thing. The timing and amount is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks again

I haven't brewed this style yet, but I just scanned the Belgian recipe database and looked at the Wits. I saw two that added at 5 minutes, two that added at 3 minutes, and one that added at 2 minutes. Based on the limited sample size and no taste experience to back my recommendation, I would suggest 3 minutes (roughly the average of the five recipes I looked at). :fro:

I used coriander and orange peel in my Wit.

I put both in at 5-7 minutes left in the boil. I didn't remove anything. I found the Orange when cleaning out the primary a few weeks later and was very confused before I realized what it was! The Wit tastes great.

EDIT: Looks like a good average of the three of our recommendations is about 5 minutes

I guess I going to go with 5 mins and use a full oz of orange and maybe .5oz to .75 coriander. Sound good for the Coriander?

I had a great BW. At the last 10 minutes of the boil, I added zest of 4 oranges which was about 1/2 cup and 5 tablespoons of ground coriander. Once the wort was cooled, I poured everything through a strainer and caught the leftover orange peel with the hops. It was really one of my favorites.

I think that sounds good. Don't hesitate to go with .75 oz of coriander. I did and while right at bottling it seemed peppery, it really mellowed out very quickly. I may even up it a little next time.

Yea, I still thing I'm going to pull the steeping bag (w/orange and coriander) out after the wort is cooled. pitch the yeast and have a "Long Trail". It's my inspiration for this one.

Back