campden tablets-how many??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
I just put up 5 gals of cider 24 hours ago. I added pectin enzyme and 5 (12 grain) campden tablets to kill the wild yeast. I put an air lock on just to safe. When I looked at it thhis morning it was actually working. How long does it take the campden tablets to work. The cider was cold when I added them. Does this affect it? Did I add enough or should I have added more. I have never had this happen before.

I usually add the campden tablets immediately when mixing up the must. I stir it well, and then pitch the yeast the next day. It shouldn't be fermenting if you haven't pitched the yeast.

You should have added enough. Maybe it's not fermenting- maybe it's so2 gas coming out of the must? Do you have a hydrometer? I'd check the SG and see if it's changed since you made up the must.

I never heard of putting on an airlock before starting fermentation, so I'm wondering if it's simply coming up to room temperature and causing some pressure changes in the airlock, or if the campden tablets are off-gassing. I'd take off the cover and stir, and pitch that yeast ASAP.

I never even thought about the so2 gas. I din't think the wild yeast could be taking off that fast. Thanks I wish had this site to help me a few years ago. I appreciate everything. The only reason I put the air lock on was because I've been doing tomatoes and pears and there a few fruit flies around.

I never even thought about the so2 gas. I din't think the wild yeast could be taking off that fast. Thanks I wish had this site to help me a few years ago. I appreciate everything. The only reason I put the air lock on was because I've been doing tomatoes and pears and there a few fruit flies around.

Ah, that makes sense! I use a clean bath towel over the top of my primary, secured with a big rubber band to keep out fruitflies, but I don't have very many- it's too cold now for them here!

I'm not sure exactly WHAT it is you've got going on there, but I'm thinking that the temperature change (warming to room temperature) and the so2 is the best guess.

Everything was great when I got home yesterday. It must have been the SO2. I racked the cider off from the sediment (5gallons). I added 1 cup of clover honey and two pounds of light brown sugar then added Cote des Blanc. Right now she is just startng to bubble!

Back