How much do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To start with, I bottle in the 473ml Grolsch bottles. I guess I have one a night two or three times during the week and maybe about three on the weekend. My wife will have two to three a week too so it doesn't take long to go through a five gallon batch. Damned tasty brew...!

hmmm, well I keep a 35 gallon pipe line all the time, is that too much?:cross:
But I usually have 3-4 pints during the course of the evening from 6-10pm.
Weekends are off limits for counting! :tank:

This in an interesting thread; some of you folks are pretty impressive. My main drinking buddy from my single years used to say "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks more than you do." I like all of you so I guess you aren't alcoholics, but I'm a little concerned about the health of a few of you. Perhaps an occasional blood test for liver disease would be a good idea for those on the high end of consumption.

In recent times, I've been averaging in the neighborhood of 2 per day. I typically have 1 or 2 with dinner--occasionally none, occasionally 3. When I grill, I'm more likely to have a little more. When I pick up takeout from a place with decent beer on tap, I'll often have a pint there while I wait and then the usual amount at home. When I go out with the drinking buddies, once every few weeks, I'll have around half a gallon. When we go on vacations or I go to one of those math professor conferences, well--extra drinking is part of the experience, so I try to stay at walking distance from some good taps.

According to some large studies I've seen, there is apparently no significant chance of long term organ damage, in the average size person, until you get past 3 per day. Reports on this kind of thing without some agenda can be hard to find, but it seems that there's still not much risk until you go past about a 6 pack a day and some drink a lot more without ever getting cirrhosis.

There was a large, well-designed, yet simple study some years ago which correlated "death from all causes" with alcohol consumption. Death rates went down as drinking went up until somewhere between 3 and 4 drinks per day. It was somewhere around 5 or 6 per day when death rates were just as high as in teetotalers and beyond that level death rates increased.

As my beer has gotten better, my intake has gone up. I'll average 1-1.5/night during the week, and then probably avg 4/day during the weekend.

As for the weight issue, I probably shouldn't admit this but I basically work out more so I can drink more. My weight is staying steady, probably because I cut back on other things I like because my beer just tastes so damn good. (I think it's not because I'm such a great brewer, but because I can focus on making beers that I really like.)

And I love this thread. Any time I feel bad about my drinking, I just read a few posts... :ban:

Now this is an interesting thread for this site. My usual intake is 1-3 beers during the week and maybe 6-8 on fridays and Saturdays. I would say this isn't a lot for me though since I am 6'3" and about 260lbs. I am pretty athletic for my size though, I just started training to run my 4th marathon. I am one of those people who works out a lot so I can drink and eat whatever I want.

I am right in the middle I think. I average about 2-3/day. But admit that can significantly increase on the weekend. My thing is that I usually don't get "drunk". I mean, of course a little "creative". But not in the hangover territory. I try to spread out the intake so I don't end up groggy the next day. (it doesn't always work)
I am also one of the guys that works out 3-5 days of week.
Cheers
Note: upon my proof read, It seems like I am trying to justify the consumption.

Forgot to add that I never drink without food and always finish the night with a large glass of water, this keeps me from feeling bad in the am.

Usually none on the weeknights and don't count Friday and Saturday because I'd probably get sent to AA.

As far as how bad x number of beers is bad for you is as accountable as drinking homogenized pasterized milk, drinking chloranated water, breathing polluted air, breathing in off gasses from your home paint carpet orwhatever ? As well as all the very large number of hydrogenated gmo oils,and large amounts of salt and sugar in most foods ,gmo foods, not to metion personal stress, your genetic makeup-history,lack of excercise,most importantly your weight -yes it doesnt take much to make most of us overweight. 90%+ of my coworkers are in this bracket.We just dont need to eat this much.But it somewhat more "their" fault for designing afforadable fat diets,its what makes $ go around. Eat more, get sick more,pay doctors,pharma more,its all the plan.Blind pig syndrome. I have learned to be my own doctor,although i admit i really should drink less.

2 beers a night weeknights, sometimes 3 but never more, and never 0. This thread makes me feel some much better about my consumption, after being asked by my wife if I had to drink EVERY night. I said 2 beers doesn't count as drinking. Drinking is on the weekends when it's more like 6+. She didn't really agree, but then she doesn't like beer so her opinion doesn't really count, does it?

I drink 1 or 2 of the bigger beers IPA's, imperials, barley wines on the weeknights and go to the session beers on the weekends APA's, pilsners, helles b/c I don't really know how many I will end up drinking.

I drink 1-3 beers a few nights a week, maybe a couple extra on weekends. I used to drink a lot of soda, cut back dramatically and figure this is probably healthier. There are of course those Saturday nights that get a tad bit out of hand (but never beer, overdrinking beer doesn't keep down long, other stuff though, look out!).

My drinking has gone down a lot, although today is a bad day to say that because last night I grabbed a bottle of whiskey on the way home from dinner...

I run 2-5 miles a day on my break at work, so weight isn't an issue. I keep my drinking down to limit liver damage, which I've read enough and seen enough in other people to believe in.

Anybody catch any flack for drinking daily?

I like to have a couple beers a night, but back before Christmas I was catching **** for cracking a beer during the week. I wasn't drinking every night (and I'd only have 1 or 2 when I did drink), but I guess I was drinking often enough that it seemed like it. Either way, I've pretty much stopped drinking on weeknights for now.

Plus, training for spring races has started, and I've decided to do my first triathlon, so after work I'm hitting the gym or the pool now anyways.

Just read an article about how beer, daily can be good for one's health. I'm guessing my intake exceeds the studies usage, but I'm going with it. My wife bought me the brewing kit so I drink less beer. I hope thats how it works...

In the article "Beer contains high levels of silicon, which is linked to bone health. In a 2009 study at Tufts University and other centers, older men and women who swigged one or two drinks daily had higher bone density, with the greatest benefits found in those who favored beer or wine. However, downing more than two drinks was linked to increased risk for fractures."

Lmao. I guess you are more prone to falling down as you drink more.

1 - 2 total throughout the week (maybe - sometimes not even that), then maybe 2 or so each on Friday and Saturday (rarely but occasionally more than that). I don't count on Holidays, gatherings, or vacations.

Interesting paging through this thread and all of the different consumption amounts, viewpoints, etc. I am currently at 2 glasses per night, pretty much every night. I used to have 3-4 per night but I have put on an extra 20 lbs that I need to/want to shed so I am cutting back on the calories. I don't normally increase my consumption on the weekends. I also normally drink only at dinner with a meal. Can and do go without when the pipeline runs dry. Really miss flavor of the particular beer with the meal that I prepare that night more than the alcohol itself, although it is relaxing.

I am mostly a social drinker I guess. Very rarely will i be drinking by myself. That being said when people are around or I am at the bar it's anywhere from 1 beer a night to upwards of 10 on some weekend nights. I would say this happens probably on average four nights a week. Never been much of a day drinker but have been known to cut loose at tailgates and such.

I design computer hardware from a home office. My commute is about 20 seconds ;) So I can have my first 12 ounce pour at 5pm, usually a fruity Pale. I'll have my second around 5:30, an IPA or an ESB. Around 10:45 I'll have a big chewy imperial sweet stout for dessert. That one usually kicks my ass into bed.

Weekends, especially on "game days", start considerably earlier with commensurately higher consumption...

Cheers!

EllisTX said:
In the article "Beer contains high levels of silicon, which is linked to bone health. In a 2009 study at Tufts University and other centers, older men and women who swigged one or two drinks daily had higher bone density, with the greatest benefits found in those who favored beer or wine. However, downing more than two drinks was linked to increased risk for fractures."

Lmao. I guess you are more prone to falling down as you drink more.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.

Ha! I'm a golf course superintendent, so drinking too much always used to be part of the job. That being said, I think my generation of supers has learned a lot from our predecessors, and most don't drink as much.

If I have beer in the fridge I'll drink 5 or 6 an evening. I'm huge, 6'6", 280 or so, so it has little effect on my mood, demeanor. If it does the wife lets me know.

I'm one of the few of my circle of friends who are settled with a wife and kids. Most of my buddies are still doing the binge drinking a couple nights a week thing. I can't keep up with them anymore when we get together. I miss the partying, but I don't miss the hangover, especially with a 4 year old running around.

I have 1-2 a night, sometimes 3. Mostly beer, Rum/coke zero or whiskey on occasion. Not enough to be a problem for anything other than my waistline.

I have several classifications on a "nights" drinking.

1. Lite Week Night = 1 or 2 beers, ~0.5-1 litre / 1-2 pints. Usually 440ml cans or a litre bottle of home brew.
2. Medium Week night = 3 or 4 beers, ~2 litres / 3 pints.
3. Heavy Week night/Lite weekend = 6 beers or 3 litres of homebrew.... and I usually regret it next morning in work.
4. Medium Weekend = 8 beers.
5. Heavy Weekend = 10 or 12 beers, or 8 beers + some wine and/or spirits. Usually generates a full body hangover with all the mod-cons like headache, dehydration, the "runs".

None of those really worry me, what worries me is if I have a chain of Medium or heavy nights and the pyscological effects start to kick in with fuzzy paranoid head.

The UK "healthy limit" is completely unrealistic. I believe it is 4 units for men, 3 for women. A single tin of beer is between 1.5 and 2 units! Who on a night out is going to drink 2 beers and call it a night?

If you add them up over week it's 28 units, I think I drink about 40-45 units at the moment == too much.

I drink at least one or two beers every day, sometimes much more; it all varies according to my work/errand schedule. Usually the first thing I do after getting home from work during the day is crack open a beer to go with lunch. If I expect to be home the rest of the day (doing chores or just sitting around), that could easily turn into 3 or 4 by dinnertime.. more than a sixer if I feel like tying on a good buzz. If I have to be up early in the morning, I try not to have more than 4 drinks in the course of a day. If I have the option to sleep late, I'll buckle down on a few more.

My fiancee and I both work nights during the weekend and usually get out around the same time (between 9 and 11pm); after that one of us picks up the other from work (we share a single car right now) and we head to the local pub at the bottom of the hill near our house. We'll stay till last call or close to it, usually consuming about 2 beers and 3 shots each. I bartend at this same pub as a secondary job on Thursday nights, and my boss has no problem with me having a couple of beers or a shot with customers during my shift, as long as everything's paid for and I'm not getting wasted behind the bar.

On average I'd say I consume about 5 drinks a day, give or take a couple. SWMBO, a little less than me, probably more like 3 a day.

We're still waiting for our first batch of homebrew to carb up, and we hope to start the second batch soon; not sure if that'll change our rate of consumption, but it will most likely mean less trips to the liquor store or bar.

I usually have 1-2 per night for the past few years. It has never affected my weight. It's only improved my health (allergies are gone), I never get sick anymore (not to say I'm immune, but I used to get sick a lot). Eat well, get some exercise, and you'll be fine.

I find that my production usually exceeds consumption. This is a function of often having to work well into the evening and then having to wake up early the next morning for work. I really don't feel like drinking, at least not much, when I'm only getting a few hours of sleep. I'd say on average I drink 4-5 beers a week.

Couple of beers when I get home, iced tea with dinner (don't like beer with my food) then a few more beers while I work in the yard or garage. Usually end the night with a cocktail of Captain Morgan and coke. I think I still have some blood in my alcohol system. :drunk:

sometimes I can go 2 weeks with none, but on other times I will kill 6-8 of em friday sat and sun nights,,,,so who knows?

Usually one or two per night. Three on occasion. Sometimes none. I'm in the group producing more than I'm drinking at the moment.

I enjoy one beer a night. Unless I'm at a hockey or baseball game then it's a 3 minimum kinda time.

I drink about 5 over the week. On the weekend who knows. Depends on how many bottles i need!

Back