ebay temp controller with RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi, I noticed that not many people use the ebay temp controller with their RIMS system. Would there be an issue with me using this cheap controller to operate a 110V gas solenoid by placing the stock probe into a heat-shielded thermowell?

Thanks. :)

The ebay controller should work the same as a LOVE or similar, and those are used for running gas solenoids, so I don't see why not.

As for protecting the sensor - I'm not sure. You could probably encase it in a thermowell...or try just dropping it into the hot water, (it IS meant for an aquarium, after all...).

As with all gas control. just because it CAN run by itself, doesn't mean it's safe to walk away from it for any length of time.

The problem with those controllers is that they use a thermistor probe and are really slow to respond to temp changes,
for a RIMS use a RTD probe, K-type at least

The problem with those controllers is that they use a thermistor probe and are really slow to respond to temp changes,
for a RIMS use a RTD probe, K-type at least

can you hook up a different probe to the eBay controller?

I use two of them in the control panel of my gas fired HERMS. One controls the HLT burner, and the other controls the pump. I use the slightly cheaper single stage units that read in fahrenheit, and they have nice round SS probes, as opposed to the oval rubber probes on the STC-1000. They fit snugly inside 1/4" od copper, which makes for cheap and easy thermowells. They might not be ideal, but they work well enough for me.

JuanMoore said:
I use two of them in the control panel of my gas fired HERMS. One controls the HLT burner, and the other controls the pump. I use the slightly cheaper single stage units that read in fahrenheit, and they have nice round SS probes, as opposed to the oval rubber probes on the STC-1000. They fit snugly inside 1/4" od copper, which makes for cheap and easy thermowells. They might not be ideal, but they work well enough for me.

Can you post a link to the 'slightly cheaper single stage units'?

Can you post a link to the 'slightly cheaper single stage units'?

I'm not him, but if you search "aquarium temperature controller" on ebay, a lot of items come up, including SS single stage 120V units like this one:
Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium 120V | eBay

Note these only handle 5A on the relay, instead of the 10A the "standard" ebay temp controllers can handle, but if you are using it to drive a RIMS unit, you SHOULD be using the relay contact with a wall wort to fire an SSR that will be controlling the RIMS unit, (if electric), or running whatever voltage through it to run the coil on a gas solenoid if gas powered, you should be fine. (holy run-on sentence batman!)

Would 5 amp be enough for a fridge or heating pad? Can they be changed from heat to cooling?

Looking for fermentation controllers and a cheese fridge controller.

Honestly, I don't know if they can be changed. 5A seems a bit light for the fridge or heating pad...

Honestly, I'd just go with the standard dual stage, 10A, ebay controller:
Mini Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium | eBay

It can both heat and cool, (and requires no input from you to switch from one to the other), and handles 10A, enough for a fridge or heating pad easy.

Spring_Chicken said:

I have that probe. It is SS, but not watertight, and has M8 threads. I had to solder it into a flare fitting to install it in my RIMS tube.

Edit:
ApNRdl.jpg

Back