Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an AHS Guinness Drought clone I purchased about a year ago. I pretty much forgot about it and never got to brewing it. I was hoping to brew it today, but I can't find the instructions sheet it came with. Maybe someone who has brewed this beer kit before could help out. The one thing I'm not sure of is when to put the hops in and how much (how much for bittering? for flavor?), but I believe the grain steeping is like 15 min at 155 F and the boil is 60 min.

The kit comes with.

5lb liquid Amber Extract
2oz kent golding hops
Muntons Premium Gold Ale Dry Yeast
.5 lb Base Grains, 1.63 lb Specialty Grains

Not sure but the hops probabily all go in at 60 min but i am not sure. Mabye 1 1/2 at 60 and 1/2 at 10?

Just email AHS. They will be more than happy to help. You can also use beer smith or a similar program to dial in your own schedule.

With that all about a year old, unless it was stored properly, it probably won't come out nearly as you expect. For one thing, if the hops weren't in the freezer, they've faded to a pale shadow of their former selves. If the grain was milled, and not vacuum packed/sealed, and kept cool, it's probably stale (test it). Not sure about the LME, but I think you're pushing the shelf life there too.

I would mention it to AHS to see what they recommend. Either brew it, taking what you get, or get fresh ingredients where you need to and brew it.

Since AHS usually vacuum seals the hops and grain, you're probably okay. Not sure about the LME since they're usually sent in taped jars. Yeast may depend on expiration date, but it may still be okay depending on how it was stored. Perhaps make a starter first to be safe?

Back