Ranco control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven85

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any good links on how to install a ranco temperature controller(or anything that would serve as a temp controller) on a refrigerator. I'm trying to modify an older fridge into a temperature controlled environment to put my carboys in during fermentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hmm ok, i guess the question I should ask is: what do I need to buy in order to keep a fridge at a constant temp of around 68F, and how do I do it? Sorry, I'm just not sure what I need, and I'm trying to find a keep way to ferment my beers cool in southern california :) Any links would be helpful, although it would be great if all I need to do is buy the ranco...

hmm ok, i guess the question I should ask is: what do I need to buy in order to keep a fridge at a constant temp of around 68F, and how do I do it? Sorry, I'm just not sure what I need, and I'm trying to find a keep way to ferment my beers cool in southern california :) Any links would be helpful, although it would be great if all I need to do is buy the ranco...

As everyone has said, buy the Ranco ETC-111000-000 prewired with a power plug and socket. Stick the plug into an available 110vac outlet, then connect the refrigerator power plug into the Ranco socket. Find a way to route the Ranco temperature probe into the fridge (easiest is to look for a drain plug on the fridge floor and use it).

Set the refrigerator temperature control to MAX COOL, then follow the Ranco directions to set it to your desired temperature, and set a reasonable differential so your fridge compressor doesn't cycle too frequently.

That's all there is to it...

Cheers!

Let me repeat.... (I have this for kegging not brewing lagers, I could do this for lagers with the 2nd fridge I have at home ~300 miles away.) Why bother good dry ale yeast exists for making mock-lagers. See my recipe for Miller Lite TRi-Hop in the pull down.

This is what you need. Get it from Northern Brewer. Just Bought one myself. $59

image_618.jpg

Johnson Temperature Controller

Product Description

Lager year round with this external overriding thermostat. It installs on a fridge or freezer to maintain optimal fermentation temperature—trying to lager in a fridge without an external overriding thermostat results in temperatures that are too cold for yeast or even in frozen beer. Plug the appliance of your choice into the thermostat, then plug the thermostat into a standard 120V outlet. An analog dial lets you set the setpoint temperature between 30 and 80°F, with 1 degree increments. The Johnson Control thermostat has a 3 1/2 degree differential, which means that the thermostat will shut the fridge or freezer off (stop cooling) at 3 1/2 deg below the setpoint and start the unit (resume cooling) once internal air temperature exceeds the setpoint—the effect of this fluctuation on the actual temperature of fermeting wort or beer will be insignificant.
When you see it, you'll find it self explanatory.

1. Mount the controller.
  2. Plug it in.
  3. Plug the Fridge/Freezer into the controller
  4. Crank the Fridge/Freezer to coldest setting.
  5. Snake the probe up the condensate drain.
  6. Set the controller temp.
  7. Done.

Actually, he doesn't need any of that stuff...

Cheers!

+1 I fully agree. Don't know why you would want to go that way at all.

My recommendation is the Johnson A419 digital. I have several of the Johnson's and would not hesitate to buy another:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...on-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html
That one is pre-wired and ready to go out of the box.

You can also find the bare bones un-wired A419 for about $56 + shipping: http://www.pexsupply.com/Johnson-Co...age-Digital-Temperature-Control-120-240v-SPDT

I'm sticking with the Johnson controllers. Too many reports of the big E-3 failure code on the Ranco's for my comfort. The Love controllers also seem to be more reliable than the Ranco's.

I got mine from pex. used this to help me wire it

These controllers should be supplied with user instructions, specifications and a wiring diagram. If not, you can usually view or download them from the manufacturers web site.

Back