Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a straight Lambic started 10 months ago. Current pic.

This is the 5 gallons with the Oak Spiral

SAM_0390.jpg

This one is without the Oak

SAM_0391.jpg

Here's my Golden Strong Ale that was brewed 3/20/11. I pitched various dregs including Orval, Delirium Tremens, Ommegang, The Bruery Saison De Lente, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere and Bam Noire. The first photo is after 2 days at high krausen. Second photo showing bubbles in pellicle is from yesterday, so about 7 weeks in.

farmhouse_ale_in_carboy.bmp
[/IMG]

pellicle.bmp
[/IMG]

when i racked off the blueberries a week after i saw this growth, the SG was like 1.001 and has since dropped to .9998 - lowest i've ever seen.

Holy hell! that's the most amazing thing I have ever heard! I don't think I've ever gotten under 1.006!

What was the F.G/ABV?

9 month old flanders red. Primary with cultivated la roja dregs, secondary with roeselare blend, fantome dregs, and whatever else i've added over the past 9 months that i can't remember
2000454010_large.jpg

9 month old flanders red. Primary with cultivated la roja dregs, secondary with roeselare blend, fantome dregs, and whatever else i've added over the past 9 months that i can't remember
2000454010_large.jpg

That's a nice picture, I just can't tell what is going on in it. Are you in a submarine? are you sideways or upside down?

Man, seriously why all the blue and darkness?

That's a nice picture, I just can't tell what is going on in it. Are you in a submarine? are you sideways or upside down?

Man, seriously why all the blue and darkness?

haha, i should have explained. It's in the dark with an LED light shining on the beer. It's at the neck of the carboy, big bubble/pellicle with the white stopper directly above. The carboy is filled nearly to the brim.

haha, i should have explained. It's in the dark with an LED light shining on the beer. It's at the neck of the carboy, big bubble/pellicle with the white stopper directly above. The carboy is filled nearly to the brim.

That makes sense, i see it now. That is one perfect fill.

Click the BW Brewing link at the bottom for a few of the barrel shots. My wife doesn't even want to know!

BW

How do you prevent cross contamination?

Most of my beers go on tap, which makes it a little easier on contamination. I do what most other guys do and keep all the plastic stuff separate from non-sours. All old plastic tubing goes to sours and the new stuff is used for the ales and Belgians. Clean everything really well and liberal use of sanitizer! I even mop the garage after bottling and transfers to get any beer off the ground.

With all that said I did have a batch of Triple pick up some brett. Most likely when I was building up the starter. Tasted great though. Got lucky on that one.

I just finished work on a barrel room on the other side of the house so I can move all the sours into a separate area from the brewhouse and ales. The room will hold all of my barrels, carboys of sours, packaged beer, bottles, mill and grain storage. I will post some picks in a few weeks when everything is moved.

BW

pOoLll.jpg

sXuNLl.jpg

This is my 7 month old pLambic. Just tried a sample a week ago for the first time and it is funky and tart. I plan to let it sit for another 4-6 months then add some fruit(maybe cranberries?) for another 3 months. I pitched White Labs WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1 along with dregs from Russian River Supplication and Temptation.

This is my Apricot Sour Rye I brewed a few weeks ago. No apricot yet. This is the second generation of Wyeast Brett L, and dregs of a few Russian River Consecration, and a Giardian Gueze 1882 Black Label.

Before adding the Brett Blend I added 1/2lb of acid malt and held at 90F for 3 days.

pellicle.jpg

wild yeast (bad photo, formed a thin pellicle):
ry%3D400

sour blonde (just about ready to bottle);
ry%3D400

lambic (@ 6 months):
ry%3D400

I accidentally my barley wine.

CIMG30732.jpg

So stoked on this. It looks, tastes and smells beautiful.

Adding my pic to this thread

it was supposed to be a session pale ale, not sure what to call it now
OG 1.042
FG 1.001
Its about 6-7 week old now
I take its its a lacto?
infection.jpg

Adding my pic to this thread

it was supposed to be a session pale ale, not sure what to call it now
OG 1.042
FG 1.001
Its about 6-7 week old now
I take its its a lacto?

Looks like it's in a bucket. Buckets are more permeable than a glass carboy or better bottle and will allow more Acetobacter to grow and impart a more vinegar-like flavor (if I recall correctly). If you want to continue your sour experiment with a less vinegary taste, maybe xfer to a carboy. If you want to see how your pale ale does with Acetobacter, let it ride! :)

think i'm going to bottle it tonight. i got two glass carboys, and 1 bucket.
Not sure if i want to move this to another one of my fermenters.

I got a ton of 12oz bottles i can put this in and toss away and not worry about cleaning them. my concern is trying to make sure this infection doesn't spread to other stuff.

hope it tastes good.

think i'm going to bottle it tonight. i got two glass carboys, and 1 bucket.
Not sure if i want to move this to another one of my fermenters.

I got a ton of 12oz bottles i can put this in and toss away and not worry about cleaning them. my concern is trying to make sure this infection doesn't spread to other stuff.

hope it tastes good.

I wouldn't bottle that. You're just begging for bottle bombs at that point. You're in for the long haul most likely. 6+ months if you want the gravity to be stable.

Don't say I didn't warn ya!

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

Old photo of a lambic in February 2010. Would have been about 1 year old at the time. Started as WYeast lambic blend and augmented with dregs here and there.

4933145406_93b121e717_z.jpg

Guess I'll have to take more pics as I've got probably 7 or 8 different sours going.

This thread might be the best compendium of beer infections on the web. And growing. Be a damned shame if it got lost and forgotten in the nearly 250,000 other threads on this site.

i kinda wish i could forget a few of them. :D

but yeah, this should be a sticky.

tasq said:
I wouldn't bottle that. You're just begging for bottle bombs at that point. You're in for the long haul most likely. 6+ months if you want the gravity to be stable.

Don't say I didn't warn ya!

I don't think it will get much lower than 1.001. I'd bottle it.

Threw some grain dust in 3 gallons scottish ale base, lacto I guess?
5919166562_05814a614f.jpg

Initial innoculation was the juniper yeast

+1, mod's? Maybe because the op is not a paying member?

olllllo said:
just so everyone knows, typing "mods" or "admin" in your thread does not activate the hbt superfriends klaxon of justice.

We either stumble upon it or don't.

We're all sequestered in monte carlo for the summer mod conference this time of year and we don't like to get out of the chaise lounges until it's time for baccarat and cocktails.

:drunk:

Threw some grain dust in 3 gallons scottish ale base, lacto I guess?
5919166562_05814a614f.jpg

Initial innoculation was the juniper yeast

Nicely done sir. Here is a pic of a Berliner Weisse I brewed with rye (Roggen Weisse?) finishing up. It was initially fermented with my Wild Eugene Yeast, then soured with a pint of my Biere de Garde that contains Jolly Pumpkin dregs.

berliner_weisse_pellicle.jpg

The camera flash makes the bubbles on the right look much whiter than they actually are.

Cheers!
Kevin

Back