Where to get "Stubby" bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaState

Reaction score
I'm looking for some short bottles, much like Red Stripe bottles. I've always loved the look of them. Does anyone know where to get them? I've heard that you can take Red Stripe bottles and soak them in something to get the paint to come off. But If I can just purchase them that would probably be better.

-Thanks!

Hmm, Sierra Nevada's bottles do look pretty sweet.

Maybe I will go for those haha.

Thanks for the input people.

Actually a new Michigan brewery "North Peak Brewing Company" just started using them. I don't know if they are available out your way, but I am excited. And the beer is pretty tasty as well.

54901.jpg

Another Michigan brewery, Founder's uses a stubby bottle, They are very near the SN bottles but with a label recess. The best part is they are filled with delicious beer, IMO!

I like the round looking bottle like that Siren bottle. It looks almost exactly like Red Stripe.

And now I like the Siren better. Thanks for doing that man, now I gotta go look to see if Iowa has any of that Michigan beer.

Hmm, Sierra Nevada's bottles do look pretty sweet.

Maybe I will go for those haha.

Thanks for the input people.

and their "big" bottles are sweet, two. they use 24 oz bottles instead of 22s, but the bottles are "stubbier" looking.

large_Harvest.jpg

And they're really big beers come in 750 mL bottles, that's 3.36 more ounces per bottle than a typical bottle! Huzzah!

Damn, looks like they are only in Michigan as of now.

How exactly is Barley wine created? And what does it taste like?

I found these at Cost Plus World Market. They come filled with an Australian Ginger Beer (soda) and are usually on sale for 3.99 per 4 pack. The labels practically fall off in hot water, but they have their brand name embossed above the shoulder on both sides. They are thick glass and take a standard cap. I have about a half a case and was planning on trying them out here on the next batch that comes out of the fermenter (I have always liked the shape of the red stripe bottles too).

5325891162_291b7d6031.jpg

Damn, looks like they are only in Michigan as of now.

How exactly is Barley wine created? And what does it taste like?

Click on the "help revvy with a special brew" to see the story of my barley wine....

Here's info on the style. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

As to how they taste, they are really strong beers that need time to mellow. The recipe is going to dictate the flavor, but the tend to be really sweet and smooth, more like a cordial than a beer.

I'm liking this thread, a lot of cool bottles. I have an idea for a sweet bottle, but I would have to kill all of you if I said it on here haha.

I don't know If you guys get it out there, but full sail makes their session lagers in some sweet stubby bottles that the labels peel right off of.

North Peak has been around for a while, just started bottling last year. The beer is kind of "meh" IMO. Better stuff in the taproom.

But the bottles are awesome! Reminds me of my grandfather's PBR bottles from ages ago.

I'm actually interested in finding some 7 or 8 ounce brown bottles to put my barleywine in. Good luck finding those.

I don't know If you guys get it out there, but full sail makes their session lagers in some sweet stubby bottles that the labels peel right off of.
It's been a while since I've had Full Sail's Session, but aren't they twist offs? The 11 oz. bottles look great.

North Peak has been around for a while, just started bottling last year. The beer is kind of "meh" IMO. Better stuff in the taproom.

But the bottles are awesome! Reminds me of my grandfather's PBR bottles from ages ago.

I'm actually interested in finding some 7 or 8 ounce brown bottles to put my barleywine in. Good luck finding those.

I'm actually liking their Siren right now. It's "interesting," it has a strange little flavor profile that I can't put my finger on, but I'm enjoying right now....

I am headed to Beer Crazy in Urbandale today IowaState, I'll see if they sell any beer with stubby bottles.

I'm actually liking their Siren right now. It's "interesting," it has a strange little flavor profile that I can't put my finger on, but I'm enjoying right now....

True, the Siren wasn't bad. I wouldn't turn any of them down, by any means, but after visiting the taproom a few times in the past few years, I had higher expectations. It's like they just picked the 3 most generic beers they had and shipped them out.

The Diabolical IPA was not even in my top 5 in the state...

The selection on tap is much better, but then again, if you are up there drinking beer, I'd recommend going to either Right Brain (disclaimer: have not been there since John was let go), or Shorts. Even Mackinaw Brewing Company has some good beers and good food and isn't a loud night club setting.

At any rate, the bottles are appealing.

Ha ha thanks for checking that out for me, I know right were that is, but I've never been in there. What's it like?

In a word, heaven. Tons of beer that is priced by the bottle, all your home brew needs, and it is right by a Wendy's so my kid gets his chicken nugget meal too. Win win IMO.

I Like Beer crazy, great beer selection (competitively priced) and half the store is Brewing equipment/ingredients as well. Having them as a LHBS (well semi local), has defiantly made it easier to get into the hobby.

rouge has started to use the 7oz bottles for a couple of there beers, drinking a batch worth of them for the bottles may be 'spensive though

here in iowa you can get them at the amananas i have a case now but don't want theman have them if we can get together

rouge has started to use the 7oz bottles for a couple of there beers, drinking a batch worth of them for the bottles may be 'spensive though

I'll keep my eye out for them. It's not worth the cost to get them for brewing, but I imagine they put some pretty special beer in them, so I might want to try them. That would give me at least a couple of small bottles.

I cannot find any source for the small bottles. A few years ago you could buy them here and there.

Back