Cutting Top of Sanke..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasjodi

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just got my keg from a good friend and now i want to cut the top of it off, I was more thinking of using a plasma cutter, but I have tried calling around everywhere to find a place that does it professionally. Does anyone know of any places in the Northern Virginia area that does these types of jobs?

i agree, if you dont have one, save the money that you would pay to have someone cut it with plasma cutter and go buy and angle grinder. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I've done four kegs with a Dremmel and cut off wheels. Very little filing or sanding required when done. It takes a little time (I imagine more than an angle grinder). First keg probably took 6 cut off wheels, the four took 2-3 (I got the hang of it :) )

Thanks everyone I'm gonna look for a good grinder when I go to the store tomorrow, do I need to apply oil when using the grinder?

Thanks everyone I'm gonna look for a good grinder when I go to the store tomorrow, do I need to apply oil when using the grinder?

Be careful with your new angle grinder and especially so if you don't have experience using one. The thin metal cutting discs are nearly as hazardous as a circular saw and can cut a finger off in a heartbeat. Wear safety glasses or preferably a full face shield. Hearing protection would also be a good idea. The fiber discs can sometimes shatter and when they do, the disc fragments can fly like shrapnel. You can buy a cheap angle grinder at Harbor Freight that will get the job done just fine.

I second the Harbor Freight notion. I have a very nice grinder that I use on automotive stuff, but I bought a $14 one from HF to cut hardy backer with. I've also used it for all the cuts in both of my brewrigs, and it's still going strong. Wish I hadn't spent $45 on my other one...

sasjodi, here is a tip if you didn't read it earlier in the thread.

walk the grinder around the keg in the direction the blade spins DO NOT FIGHT the blades natural motion.

use light easy pressure so your just scoring the keg, no need to cut deep that will yield poor results.

go slow it might take more laps around the keg, but the finish product will be well worth it.

all in all I think my second keg to 7-8 minutes where are my first closer to five but its not as pretty as the second one is.

-=Jason=-

Half way through with the cutting, I have to pick up some more blades. It is pretty smooth once you get the hang of it with the angle grinder thanks for the input guys

Next week I will try my hand at making my first keggle. I have read all the posts covering the different ways to cut the top and assemble. Can anyone direct me where to buy a side mount level sight gauge? I appreciate the help.

ear protection is a must when cutting keg, unless you dont value your hearing.

When I cut one with the plasma cutter I traced out a circle that was the size of a lid that would fit the hole. This is on the one I use for my mashtun. Lid fits in hole, insulated, blanket over top and it doesn't lose one degree in an hour mash.

I've done four kegs with a Dremmel and cut off wheels. Very little filing or sanding required when done. It takes a little time (I imagine more than an angle grinder). First keg probably took 6 cut off wheels, the four took 2-3 (I got the hang of it :) )

Whoah, a Dremel? Which one? I don't think my Dremel could handle that without recharging several times per keg.

Hello Everyone,

I just got my keg from a good friend and now i want to cut the top of it off, I was more thinking of using a plasma cutter, but I have tried calling around everywhere to find a place that does it professionally. Does anyone know of any places in the Northern Virginia area that does these types of jobs?

Check out Bobby-M's You Tube video on cutting the top off a keg and my instruction on how to lighten your keg http://www.youtube.com/user/BobbyFromNJ https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-lighten-your-sanke-keggle-214694/

Next week I will try my hand at making my first keggle. I have read all the posts covering the different ways to cut the top and assemble. Can anyone direct me where to buy a side mount level sight gauge? I appreciate the help.

Bobby_M makes and sells sight glasses.
Quality is top-notch and the price is pretty good too.
I think his site is brewhardware.com - just use the search on here. You'll find plenty of threads about them.

Bobby_M makes really good sight glass sets that include thermometers as a set, also you could try weldlessfittings.com

Also Yuri gives good advice on how take apart the keg personally I thought taking it apart was going to be really confusing, its actually easier then a corny keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with your new angle grinder and especially so if you don't have experience using one. The thin metal cutting discs are nearly as hazardous as a circular saw and can cut a finger off in a heartbeat. Wear safety glasses or preferably a full face shield. Hearing protection would also be a good idea. The fiber discs can sometimes shatter and when they do, the disc fragments can fly like shrapnel. You can buy a cheap angle grinder at Harbor Freight that will get the job done just fine.

x2, I had one come apart go through my blue jeans about a 1/2" in my leg, about 2" from my willy, scary as hell.

Be careful with your new angle grinder and especially so if you don't have experience using one...Hearing protection would also be a good idea...

Seriously, listen to this advice. You'd be surprised at the amount of decibels that can come from and angle grinder and stainless steel. Be careful, and for gawd's sake, wear eye and ear protection!

I cut mine with a plasma torch, which wasn't that noisy, but I did clean up my cuts with my angle grinder, and that rechid noise warrants PPE alone.

TB

x2, I had one come apart go through my blue jeans about a 1/2" in my leg, about 2" from my willy, scary as hell.

Leather apron is a good investment,they also block your willy from wires from a wire wheel, as I found out the hard way. :(

Back