Storing Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
Hi
I've just bottles my first lot of wine (7 bottles of elderberry), but am unsure where to store them.

I've put them in a cupboard in our utility room, but just measured the temp at 20C, as the boiler and tumble dryer are in this room, so not ideal for fluctuating temps.

I've got a garage which is hot in summer due to corrugated perspex roof, and cold in winter. Also have outbuildings, but these would obviously fluctuate with the seasons.

Anywhere inside will be 18-20 degrees c. I'd be interested to know where other people store their wine?

cheers

Nothing to add, but my first batch of wine is pretty much done fermenting and I'm just letting the yeast do their cleaning act in my buckets before bottling or I guess racking it. So subscribing to the thread to see what you get for replies since I haven't actually read up much on wine myself (and have 10 gallons in the kitchen that's gonna need bottling soon I get ahead of myself sometimes).

I keep mine in my basement.

Cellar_5-22-08.JPG

Ideally, you'd store finished wine in a 55 degree environment. If you can't (and many can't), it's important to store it where the fluctuations in temperature are minimized, and where you can avoid temperature extremes. A steady 78 degrees is better than a place where it goes from 60-90 degrees.

Back