Properties of Mint under fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidwolf86

Reaction score
I'm usually not one to post on forums, but I've lurked along this board for a few months, and now I've hit a brick wall with something.

I brewed a beer with mint (not a chocolate stout) about a year ago now. It was terrible for about 3 months, then somewhere around 6 months aged, it changed. The beer was both sweet, refreshing and dark. :confused::confused:

but the real kicker was how drunk this brew would get people. The alcohol content was not terribly high from what I remember, but even seasoned drinkers were getting drunk off of 22 oz.

So, does anyone know what the properties of spear/peppermint under fermentation are and if they somehow enhance the effects of alchol, or was it just a wonderbrew?

also looking for recipe now, will post if found.

Hmmm, I've heard of narcotic effects of other herbs, but not mint. OTOH, catnip is a mint, and look what it does to cats... I guess I never liked mint enough to use that much...

Hmmm.... I may have to make a batch of mint wine to see if there is a direct correlation...

I'd love to see the recipe if you find it. I've been planning on doing a chocolate mint stout soon, but would be into other uses of mint... im a big fan of anything with mint :)

Here's a recipe I found at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques55.asp

Mint Wine
  • 1 qt loosely packed mint leaves
  • 2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
  • 7-1/4 pts water
  • 3 tsp citric acid
  • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1/4 tsp tannin
  • Champagne wine yeast
Wash mint leaves well and place in small pot with lid. Bring water to a boil and pour 1/4 of it over mint leaves. Bring mint water to a simmer, remove from heat and seep one hour, covered. Stir the sugar in remaining water until thoroughly dissolved and allow to cool. Strain liquid from mint into primary and add then sugar-water, tannin, acid blend, and yeast nutrient. Cover primary and allow to continue cooling until room temperature. Add yeast. Ferment 7 days, rack into secondary, top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again 3 months after that. Stabilize, wait 10 days, sweeten to taste, allow to settle overnight, and rack into bottles. This wine MUST age at least a year before drinking, preferably in a dark place. Serve chilled.

And here's another one, found at http://makinghomemadewineandbeer.blogspot.com/2006/01/mint-wine.html

• 4 cups fresh mint
  • 2 pounds honey
  • pectic enzyme (optional)
  • zest & juice of 2 lemons for acid (optional)
  • champagne yeast
Steep mint in 3 qts boiled water. Add honey- stir til honey dissolves. Add pectic enzyme & lemons. Let sit over night with tight cover. Strain into gallon jug. Pitch yeast. Add airlock. Rack after 2 weeks. Then Rack every three months until clear. Bottle.

Menthol is both an analgesic (pain killer) and a vasodilator (widens blood vessels).

I could see how both of those would enhance the effects of alcohol.

Menthol is both an analgesic (pain killer) and a vasodilator (widens blood vessels).

I could see how both of those would enhance the effects of alcohol.

Now this makes alot of sense... I knew both of these things, and I didn't connect the dots. The recipe had LOTS of dried peppermint and spearmint, I even dry-hopped (minted?) with them. So I guess with enough mint that would happen.

Back