Adding flavoring to wine.....how often???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinoD

Reaction score
Just read another user's post concerning a blackberry wine that lacked flavor.

I've got the same problem with a batch of peach that's ready for the bottle all except for it's lack of peach flavor. It tastes more like a white wine. I back-sweetened some to try to bring out the peach. But not much help. I'm going to have to flavor it.

How often do the rest of you end up artificially flavoring your fruit wines??

I never add artificial flavors to my wine. What I do is add some concentrated juice after fermentation is complete. It really bumps up the flavor of a finished wine. Try adding more fruit to the secondary as well.

I think maybe one of two things could be happening: you're using a yeast that doesn't leave behind a lot of aroma and flavour (EC-1118 can be bad for this), or you're using fruit that isn't very flavourful.

+1 on adding concentrate.

what about for the next go around...can you add more fruit to the primary? I have some asian pear wine that is good BUT it is weak flavor wise... I have access to a ton of the pears again next year so can I just add more pears per gallon of wine next time? Also it is watery "feeling" in your mouth.

The true essence of the fruit comes out better when added to the secondary. I hate to point out the obvious but pears aren't exactly bursting with flavor anyway. That's why you don't often see pear fruit drinks, pear flavored bubblegum, or pear ice cream.

Latest posts

Back