Driving From Kansas to Oregon -- Hotels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hey all,

As the title suggest the gfriend and I are driving 'cross country from Kansas City to Portland, Oregon tomorrow. Got the route all planned out from Mapquest and double checked via a good road atlas. Should take 26 hours. I estimate we'll be stopping around the Nebraska/Wyoming border the first time, then somewhere around Twin Falls or Boise Idaho the second time. I'm googling hotels but for every good recommendation there always seems to be an accompanying bad recommendation. Any HBTers out there at all familiar with this route/part of the States? Any recommendations for hotels at a good price? I'm not fussy about accommodation as long as the place is clean.

WW

How bout that, my mom just did this trip last week! She went with some family to KCMO to move my grandparents out of their house, then they came back here. I don't know if I can get ahold of her today but I'll ask her about some of the stops along the way.

If you have AAA, they have great hotel/motel suggestions. You also get a discount for having a AAA membership. If you're looking for just a place to sleep, any of the well known national chains are good.

That's awesome! I hope to hear back from you/her.

And we're signing up for AAA today so thanks also for that, I'll have a look to see if we can get a discount immediately.

Looks like I won't hear back from her, so I don't have any excellent advice for ya. Definitely go get AAA. If you go to a AAA location I believe they give you a temp card you can use until your real one shows up in the mail? I think? They have books of hotel listings in every state, reviews of the accommodations, and average prices. Those are a life saver.

Well we did it and it was pretty smooth. Just in case anyone else is planning on doing the same thing may I recommend:

Nebraska - The Day's Inn in Ogalalla
Utah - The Marriott in Ogden (only 60 bucks with AAA membership!)
Oregon - The Travelodge in Pendleton

Pendleton was not a great place to stay, but just happened to work because of our late start from Utah. The hotel itself was nice enough.

Back