How (exactly) did you build your rig frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokolosh

Reaction score
So I'm no welder, and was wondering how everyone had their single or 3 tier rig frames built. Any suggestions?

All my equipment frames are made out of extruded aluminum.
No welding required, just nuts and bolts.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Whatever pieces of steel they had at the salvage yard. Mostly 2-3" angle (old shelf stock from Home Depot, I think). I probably spent <$5 on materials. It's welded, though. I don't think I'd try to bolt it together.

I saw a really nice 3 tier system this weekend from 1x1" square aluminum tubing. The keggle supports were welded, however the rest was bolted with lock washers. The owner brewed on it for 4+ years and never had to re-tighten any bolts. My stand is going to be completely welded, however I have access to welding equipment and a very nice machine shop.

I am in the process of building mine right now. I bought a Lincoln mig welder and a bunch of 2x2x.12 steel tubing....

Michael

I learned how to MIG weld while assembling my frame. If you have a friend that has a welder I am sure he'll let you use it if you buy your own wire and fill his bottle. If you are the handyman-type and have a steady hand you can weld.

Mine is 2X4's, plywood and cement backer-board. I used deck screws to fasten it all together. Electric brew kettle/HLT and a cooler MLT.

BrewBeemer wrote: Extruded aluminum Tig welds easy.

I have no idea how to weld :eek: so I am stuck with the special extrusion fasteners.

All bolts , and T-nuts are hidden.
The non weld approach makes modification very easy.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I have no idea how to weld :eek: so I am stuck with the special extrusion fasteners.

All bolts , and T-nuts are hidden.
The non weld approach makes modification very easy.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
So does an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.:D

I'm making mine (3 tier)out of a discarded portable basketball hoop thing. It's a big 3" post, and I cut and fishmouthed the extra length in to an upside down T. I will make some feet for it and figure out the rest as I go.

don't be afraid of welding. I learned how to just for building my stand. I ended up finding 3 friends with welders who were al lhappy to loan and show me, and help me practice, then I built the stand myself.

If you cut the pieces for your stand and have it ready. Find a welding shop and take it to them if you have no access to a welder. Welding a stand of any type should only take 2 hrs or less. Less than a $100 should get it done, even if it's huge. You only need 1 1/2" by 1/8" angle. More than heavy enough. Steel is really cheap now. Welding is much better than bolting IMHO.

I built my 3 tier stand from old metal bed frames. Cut them with an angle grinder, and bolted them together. I just couldn't justify the expense of a welder, and really wanted to do all the work myself.

I used cut down warehouse shelving. Works great
PalletRack.jpg

If you want to weld, or assemble something for someone else to weld, make sure you sand/grind down all the paint/rust/what-have-you to clean bare metal wherever the welds will be. Like most anything else, prep is key to getting a good result.

I ended up finding 3 friends with welders who were al lhappy to loan and show me, and help me practice, then I built the stand myself.

There you go. Everybody, it seems, knows someone that can weld. I have a friend that owns a machine shop. Although I know how to weld, I let him do it, since he is much better at it. We spent a Saturday at his shop, I did the cutting and he did the welding. The best part is, most (but not all) of the materials were scraps just lying around his shop that he gave me for free.:ban:

The best part is, most (but not all) of the materials were scraps just lying around his shop that he gave me for free.:ban:

My tubing arrived to my work one day on a truck and on the bundle tag there was a big "N/C". It was from one of my vendors that knew what it was for (I cut steel tubing for automotive.) and you better believe that I send them more orders after that gesture.

Free material is nice.

Back