New Brew Kettle selection help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
Greetings and happy New Year everyone. Let's hope for a healthy and wealthy brewing year! :mug:
I have some $$ to spend and I am looking to replace my boil kettle. I would like to buy a stainless kettle, I do 5 gallon batches but know I should plan for future 10 gallon size. So with that in mind I'd love some feedback on what you all like to use for boil kettles that also have options for keeping protein and hops in the kettle instead of my fermenter. I'd like a valve on the kettle. I only use pellet hops currently and I siphon the beer from the brew kettle to the fermenter. I always get so much stuff and I'd like to reduce that with the help of the right pot. So thanks for any input.

~Bill

I'd get a Sanke keg to convert. Once you go Sanke you'll never go back. If you cant find one to convert check Adventures in homebrewing the have them ready to go for $139.99

What about false bottoms in these kettles? Do you have good luck using them to leave behind the "junk" after boiling? I know obviously some protein and hop stuff is good for yeast food but I'd prefer to leave much of it behind.

Pellet hops are difficult to strain with a false bottom or screen. A lot of brewers whirlpool the cooled wort and drain off the edge of the kettle. I like this idea for hop additions.
HopBagHolder1.JPG

Here is the thread.

If it's a couple then I think you need a nipple as well as the ball valve.
I use a nipple instead of a coupler so I fit the ball valve directly.

I think the latter is cheaper and more compact.

Back