White Labs yeast question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Picked up two vials of WLP530 for a Belgian Pale Ale i plan on doing Dec 8th. One vial (Feb) is a greyish color and the other (Jan) is a cream color. Do these yeasts generally vary in color from batch to batch?

It could just be the plastic making it look that way, or the beer that they are stored in.

Make two different starters for them and if one doesn't start, take it back to he lhbs.

I have a vial of 530 with a Feb 10 date and it is cream color. I would email WL and ask them about it. They are very good about responding to questions. One time, they sent me a voucher for a free vial!

=HollisBT;4639744

Make two different starters for them and if one doesn't start, take it back to he lhbs.

IMO. use the creamiest looking one to make your starter, and build to the needed quantity. In the mean time, take the other back for your money. Just sayin' ...

That's just a property of yeast- they are both fine to use. When I worked in a yeast lab I used to know what the gray comes from, but I don't recall at the moment.

That's just a property of yeast- they are both fine to use. When I worked in a yeast lab I used to know what the gray comes from, but I don't recall at the moment.

That would be interesting to know. I don't believe I've ever seen a White Labs tube that I would describe as grey - if I did, I think it would be different enough to make me concerned and not use it.

That would be interesting to know. I don't believe I've ever seen a White Labs tube that I would describe as grey - if I did, I think it would be different enough to make me concerned and not use it.

I will see if I can look it up- usually it's just a stripe or large spot at the bottom of the vial, not the whole thing.

Well here's what happened, I set the vials upright in the fridge and the February vial has quite a bit more liquid to yeast ratio than the January vial. I think the extra liquid contained in the vial may have made it look different than the January vial.

Email sent from white labs.

The yeast color can vary between batches due to the malt extract that it's grown on. Since we sterilize the malt extract, it can sometimes darken if it's left in the autoclave longer than other batches. It's completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Email sent from white labs.

The yeast color can vary between batches due to the malt extract that it's grown on. Since we sterilize the malt extract, it can sometimes darken if it's left in the autoclave longer than other batches. It's completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Good to know- I was thinking more of the gray and white banding that occurs usually near the bottom of the vial.

Back