Wine a bit sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daz75mfc

Reaction score
I've just made white wine from non concentrate grape juice using 5 lit and 5 kg suger is there any way to take the sweetness out without losing the alcohol content ;)

Your only option is to blend with a dry wine of same alcohol content, IMHO.

Five liters of juice and five kilo of sugar? Out of curiosity, what was your starting SG, final SG and yeast?

daz75mfc said:
Don't know :) what should it be and how do I check that

You use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of your must prior to fermentation. It will tell you potential alcohol. If it is higher than the yeast will ferment, you'll have residual sugars.

I agree with the previous post, blend with a like dry wine.

Hm well that is an extreme sugar content. That's roughly 11 lb / 1.32 gal or 8.3 lb/gal. That would have a potential abv of over 41%. So no matter what yeast you used that is going to make a very sweet wine.

OP, hydrometer samples will be your best friend in wine making. In particularly if you are not working from a pre assembled kit wine. Generally the advice for a finished wine would be to blend the wine as everyone has already said. Some things to keep in mind in the future is that generally adding additional sugar to the wine pre fermentation will increase alcohol content which in turn lowers perceived sweetness. However, and I feel this is what happened in your case, you can add too much which will cause your starting gravity to be outside of the optimum range of the yeast which will cause the yeast to stress and not finish the job - leaving behind unfermented sugars and the sweet taste. By taking a hyrdrometer reading before adding sugar and knowing the optimums of your yeast, you will be able to determine how much sugar you can add and determine pitching rate for the yeast.

Good luck!

You must have sugar available to create the alcohol. Sincerely suggest you invest in a hydrometer and a basics of winemaking guide...it will help.

Latest posts

Back