What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had a beer from southern tier that I have liked. But the worst beers I've had are from the Woodstock Inn (Woodstock, NH). Just bad watery terrible beer. Their so called maple porter I'm pretty sure is just a mix of guiness and root beer.

nlpavalko said:
@Bad67z: really, you don't like the Mad Anthony? I live in Fort Wayne (where the brewery is located) and I thought it was good. Very hoppy, but good.

I enjoy that Pale Ale also. (I'm a former Wayner)

Lagunitas lucky 13 was terrible. It's a shame because I normally love most everything this brewery does. Another was Widmer's rotator IPA series spiced IPA. The spices in both were identical, and made me identically sick. Just not good.

Dragon's Milk. without a doubt worst I've had.

That Wild Blue stuff mentioned earlier is pretty bad as well depending what flavor you get. they make like 4 of them.

Funny how people's taste differs. I absolutely love Dragon's Milk. It is one of my favorite winter beers EVER.

I've had great beers at all the Raleigh area breweries so I didn't think twice about buying tickets to a wing festival at Roth Brewing a few weeks ago. The wings were okay but the beers, and I tried 3, were awful.

Their cinnamon porter had overwhelming hot fusels that gave the beer a cinnamon rubbing alcohol taste. The Raleigh Red, an amber, was bland and watery with zero hop flavor and aroma. The honey hefeweizen was drinkable but crystal clear with no hefeweizen characteristics.

I felt bad for all the hipsters drinking these beers and trying to act like the beers were great.

I also recently attended a street festival at Roth (maybe the same one??) and left disappointed with the beer. But the worst beer I had there was "6 Impossible Things" by Mystery Brewing. It tasted like it was brewed from 6 impossible things. I think it would have been much better if they had stuck to 3 or 4 possible things with that one.

I did get a really cool beer glass there though, that is one of my favorite glasses in the glassware collection, so at least it was not a total waste of time.

I also recently attended a street festival at Roth (maybe the same one??) and left disappointed with the beer. But the worst beer I had there was "6 Impossible Things" by Mystery Brewing. It tasted like it was brewed from 6 impossible things. I think it would have been much better if they had stuck to 3 or 4 possible things with that one.

I did get a really cool beer glass there though, that is one of my favorite glasses in the glassware collection, so at least it was not a total waste of time.

I've had the same mixed feelings with Roth beers. The Dark Construct and Valkyrie are the only two I really like but I've mostly noticed they're not consistent. The beer changes too much between batches for me. As for the Mystery Brewing cask that day, pretty much everybody thought it was sour...

Magic Hat #9. Could not stand it.

I actually like #9, the apricot does kind of smell like dirty gym socks though before you drink it.

Boatswain Heavy Lift Vessel from Minhas brewery in Monroe WI, they sell it at Trader Joes, it is way too syrupy for me to be called beer. I tried another from them after SWMBO picked them up for me, I figured "Free beer" but...dumped it after half a glass and picked up a magic hat #9 from a variety pack I had.

I've had the same mixed feelings with Roth beers. The Dark Construct and Valkyrie are the only two I really like but I've mostly noticed they're not consistent. The beer changes too much between batches for me. As for the Mystery Brewing cask that day, pretty much everybody thought it was sour...

I agree that Dark Construct and Valkyrie CAN be good, but you are spot-on about the variability. When I was at the festival I had 2 Valkyrie's back-to-back. As I was waiting in line for the refill, the keg tapped out and had to be changed. The new keg had completely different color, aroma, flavor and cloudiness that the one I had just finished. Frustrating...

People's Farmer's Daughter Wheat

So bad I told the bartender I thought they had a bad keg of it on tap. Later after reading other's review I learned that's jut the way it tastes.

Stone's 16th Anniversary Ale was pretty bad. Just wasn't a huge fan of the lemon verbena in an IPA. And Stone is my favorite brewery!

I was extremely disappointed with 16th, but I wouldn't put it up in the "worst" category. The weird bitter astringency from the lemon verbena was very unpleasant, though.

I picked up Knee Deep's Simtra Triple IPA recently, expecting an awesome beer made from Simcoe and Citra. The aroma was amazing, but there was a weird spoiled meat flavor in the aftertaste that made me pour out most of the bottle, just nasty.

The absolute worst craft beer I've had though, is Brewdog's Tokyo. Cloyingly sweet cough syrup and hot alcohol. I got about two sips in and poured out the rest of the $18 bottle (it should be noted that I didn't expect it to be very good, but I saw it and had the money to burn, so I went for it). I will never try any of Brewdog's other high grav offerings and I seriously doubt I'll ever try any of their other stuff on general principle either.

Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra is not one I'll try again. Also I HATED Avery Maharaja. To call that an Imperial IPA is a joke. It's a s****y Strong Ale if anything.

Not really a craft beer, this is a bud product, but yeah, that's my worst too. Bud Heavy+ grape Nyquil

Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.

Wild Blue might be the winner but I've had some nasty Rahr beers. I like the alt and winter beer but the oktoberfest tastes like it was filtered through trash.

got a sampler of magic hat and hated everyone till the last drop. SN bigfoot barleywine was first beer i have poured out since the first time i tried guiness in high school(it didnt taste like milwaukees best!) who knew.

got a sampler of magic hat and hated everyone till the last drop. SN bigfoot barleywine was first beer i have poured out since the first time i tried guiness in high school(it didnt taste like milwaukees best!) who knew.

The only magic hat beer I've liked is the vanilla porter.

i'm not a wheat beer fan in general, but by far the worst beer i've ever had has to be 21st amendments "Hell or High-Watermelon". i even tried it on more than one occasion bc i've liked all the other beers i've tried by them, and every time it was just down right gross.

but, with that said, their "back in black" black IPA is quite delicious.

scotchman12 said:
Love mad ants!

The first time I had Woody (from fort Wayne) it wasn't great. But that was 4 years ago. I have had mad Anthonys a couple times this year at bars, fests, and at even got to have an ipa at a tin caps game (huge bonus points by the way). They have either gotten a lot better or I grabbed some really old bottles back in the day, which wouldn't really surprise me.

I was poured a sample of something from Shorts one afternoon at a bar. It smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not a skunky beer, but a skunks ass. The bartender commented that they couldn't give that stuff away. Not sure if they got a bad keg or what, but that was awful!

brewmadness said:
I was poured a sample of something from Shorts one afternoon at a bar. It smelled and tasted like a skunks ass. Not a skunky beer, but a skunks ass. The bartender commented that they couldn't give that stuff away. Not sure if they got a bad keg or what, but that was awful!

That's unfortunate. I've liked just about every beer I've tried by Short's. Or at least they weren't so bad that I had to dump it :)

Off topic: Goooo Tigers!!!

I'll second (or third, or fourth?) the creme brulet stout - way too sweet, gave me a stomach ache I felt like I drank a bottle of schnapps. One of the worst I have had in recent history is Wild Black Blackberry Lager. I've only just now discovered it's made by Anheuser-Busch, go figure. It tasted like robotussin.

This is my first post, but I thought it was funny how tastebuds from one person to another is different. For me, the worst craft beer is anything from leinenkugel. It is just average and anything flavored tastes fake.

Magic Hat Howl has to be the worst thing I've ever tasted, beer or otherwise. Followed closely by a Vanilla Coffee Porter from Otter Creek, I think, that was simply awful. Tasted like cold fizzy coffee w/ a dash of vanilla. Blech.

Oh, and Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice, also horrendous.

Thought of another one: Knee Deep's Tanilla Stout. They clearly used artificial vanilla flavoring rather than beans, and they used way too much of it. It's like a vanilla air freshener dumped in a beer.

Short's Key Lime pie was pretty bad. Way too much fake lime flavoring.

Shipyard smashed pumpkin is just terrible. It's like getting beaten in the face with a sock full of sugar and nutmeg.

nlpavalko said:
@Bad67z: really, you don't like the Mad Anthony? I live in Fort Wayne (where the brewery is located) and I thought it was good. Very hoppy, but good.

Yeah, I dont understand that. Its not stellar by any means. But.it is.certainly drinkable and something I would never say no to. I feel they could do a little better in several of their, "mainstays" but theyre overall pretty decent

Any double pilsner from any brewery. Not a style thats needs to be "doubled". And a big vote for Summer Shandy.

landshark said:
Dragon's Milk. without a doubt worst I've had.

That Wild Blue stuff mentioned earlier is pretty bad as well depending what flavor you get. they make like 4 of them.

New Hollands dragons milk is darn good when fresh. But not so much when it sits in the bottle which is odd considering it is supposed to be aged.

I might be yelled at but I didn't really enjoy Founders Breakfast Stout. I guess I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming coffee flavor. I like a stout on rare occasions and I drink black coffe (no cream or sugar) on a daily basis but this I had to force myself to finish. Just way over the top on the coffee and didn't taste an advertised oatmeal. JMHO.

Latest posts

Back