Liquid Panty Remover Apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH

Reaction score
This is pretty simple, based off of Edwort's recipe. Mine ended up tasting a bit dry for most womens' taste, so I made a couple small changes here and there. Yes, I know it's a wholly unoriginal name, but it works. :)

5 gal apple juice (I ended up using Mott's)
4.75 lbs turbinado sugar
12 fl oz cranberry-raspberry juice concentrate (priming)

Procedure borrowed from Edwort's Apfelwien thread with necessary changes:

1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
  2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
  3. Add 1 lb it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
  4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
  5. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
  6. Add yeast starter. Remember to keep your stir bar from falling in!
  7. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka. No bacteria will live in vodka and if you get suckback, you just boosted the abv.

I was also an idiot and completely forgot to take any gravity readings, and the various online calculators give me ABV results anywhere from 11.96% to 43%, which I suspect is not quite accurate. If anyone can give me a more accurate estimate, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My girlfriend had a taste yesterday with the leftovers from bottling (enough to fill a small glass) and proclaimed it my best version to date. Her words: "It tastes like a sweet and refreshing spring wine." Keep in mind, this was the uncarbonated version with all the juice concentrate sugar and flavors still there. I have high hopes for the final version (bottled it yesterday), and I'll let everyone know how it turned out in two weeks.

I've also been asked to make an uncarbonated version, which I may try once I find out how well this batch turns out.

what would be a good way to reduce how dry this is? I know i would like it thinking of the women who might want to try it?

Try adding some unfermentable sweetener, like Splenda. I don't really think it needs it as-is, but I have some funky taste buds. And I'm not a chick. :)

It will be tough if you want it carbonated, and not dry. Although you could use some non-fermentable sugars in the batch to retain a little sweetness... If you let it go dry, to the tolerance of the yeast, and beyond (so that it finishes sweet) you could filter and keg it up to carbonate. Then bottle from there for those not able to get to your place to try some (carbonated)...

Of course, if the babes come over, really like it, you could start collecting panties for payment... :eek:

Looks like KFH has the same thoughts on adding non-fermenting sugars... I like the idea of letting it ferment dry, back-sweetening it, then carbonating it in a corny... :D Granted, I don't have a kegging setup yet...

yeah i dont have a kegging set up yet, but gonna make some...ill just let them try the cider then offer some haaard lemonade then ask for panty payments:off::ban:

I got impatient, and decided to open a bottle.

142869d8.jpg

It's both sweet and tart and very refreshing. I'm expecting the tartness to mellow out a bit after more time. Even so, it's still damned good now. :)

About how long did/do you plan to age, I am looking at starting a hard cider for the winter and this is the Amish speaking recipe I've come across yet. Plus I set up for kegging so just a point of clarification, ferment out them add juice concentrate to keg or add before primary and just some sort of sweetener to keg? Thanks :)

BllShter said:
About how long did/do you plan to age, I am looking at starting a hard cider for the winter and this is the most appealing recipe I've come across yet. Plus I set up for kegging so just a point of clarification, ferment out them add juice concentrate to keg or add before primary and just some sort of sweetener to keg? Thanks :)

Bllshter

I let this batch age for about a month before adding the concentrate. If you plan on keg carbonating, I'd recommend adding some campden tablets to ensure the yeast goes dormant before adding the concentrate and kegging.

I messed around with a batch of Ed Worts original recipe last year. I did 3 gallons apple juice, 2 gallons peach/apple (all from walmart). With 3 lbs dextrose.

I racked to keg, had a couple or few pints. Then added a 2L of diet sprite. Which backsweetened to a very palatable apple/peach sweet apfelwien. I dont know if the sugar in the diet sprite was fermentable, My wife and I hosted a work halloween party. The majority of the apfelwien hybrid was consumed that night. The rest was consumed within a week or two.

Needless to say, with the diet soda back sweetening. It was very tasty. Coworkers still talk about it. For a 20-30 dollar recipe, and for how simple it is to mix. its win/win.

(I may be drunkerd while posting this)

I messed around with a batch of Ed Worts original recipe last year. I did 3 gallons apple juice, 2 gallons peach/apple (all from walmart). With 3 lbs dextrose.

I racked to keg, had a couple or few pints. Then added a 2L of diet sprite. Which backsweetened to a very palatable apple/peach sweet apfelwien. I dont know if the sugar in the diet sprite was fermentable, My wife and I hosted a work halloween party. The majority of the apfelwien hybrid was consumed that night. The rest was consumed within a week or two.

Needless to say, with the diet soda back sweetening. It was very tasty. Coworkers still talk about it. For a 20-30 dollar recipe, and for how simple it is to mix. its win/win.

(I may be drunkerd while posting this)

Diet means it's saccharine, aspartame or sucralose :)

To the OP, what did you use for concentrate at bottling? Frozen? Any brand better than another???

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

To the OP, what did you use for concentrate at bottling? Frozen? Any brand better than another???

I used 1 12oz can of store brand cranberry juice concentrate. Nothing fancy.

Great! Think once i free up some carboys ill whip up somma this stuff!

Making this tomorrow. Gonna use half raw sugar half brown. As for the last cup of raspberry stuff do you need to add any corn sugar to it for priming or is it enough to carb well?

KFH
How long did you leave this in your primary before bottling?

I usually leave it for about 2 months or so before bottling. My latest batch I left for about 6, simply because I was lazy and didn't want to bother with it. :)

Turned out quite nicely.

I have a kegging setup and wanted to make something like this so I could bottle with a blichmann gun.

you said 12 oz of cranberry raspberry concentrate. Did you mean those small frozen cans?

Looking at the lbs im guessing this is around 10% ABV?
So you let me ferment dry. Then add Potassium metabisulphite? then add the frozen concentrate?

what does this taste like? dry? semi sweet? is the cran-rasp strong or kinda mellowed out?

KFH what kind of FG are we looking for here? I'm about a month in. Gonna rack to secondary on sat for a few more weeks before bottling. Trying to push this out for st pats!

I have a kegging setup and wanted to make something like this so I could bottle with a blichmann gun.

you said 12 oz of cranberry raspberry concentrate. Did you mean those small frozen cans?

Yep.

Looking at the lbs im guessing this is around 10% ABV?
So you let me ferment dry. Then add Potassium metabisulphite? then add the frozen concentrate?

I'd add the potassium metabisulphite a day or so before adding the concentrate. I bottle-condition, so that's not normal for my procedure.

what does this taste like? dry? semi sweet? is the cran-rasp strong or kinda mellowed out?

The Cran-raspberry flavor is noticable, but quite subdued. It helps reduce the alcohol flavor of the plain version.

KFH what kind of FG are we looking for here? I'm about a month in. Gonna rack to secondary on sat for a few more weeks before bottling. Trying to push this out for st pats!

You know, I had a bit of a hard time getting a gravity reading from this particular recipe. The turbinado sugar needs to be shaken up REALLY F*CKING HARD to keep it in suspension, otherwise it'll simply sink to the bottom, which doesn't help in getting a gravity reading.

Getting this ready for St. Patricks should be doable, but it'll still be really green. Maybe adding in 2 packets of Notty will help get all the sugar nom-nommed into booze in time. :)

I dissolved the sugar in 2 gal of warm apple juice to prevent settling. So I think my SGs are ok... I'll grab some notty this week and toss em in. Got sg of 1.011 a few days ago so we are close. Og was 1.086

theluckychronic said:
and what is the Yeast Starter: 1L starter im a new brewer

A yeast starter is where you grow the yeast in a low gravity wort to have a higher cell count when you pitch it into the full batch. For ciders of 5 gallons I use half a gallon of apple juice and pitch my yeast in that let it sit for 4 or 5 days shaking it every time I walk by. Then make the rest of the batch and pitch the other half gallon after shaking it one more for good measure

Several of us the other day were naming our homebrews at work. One was "Panty Peeler"

The title caught my eye. Lol

Back