American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great recipe thread!

I'm going to brew this with a buddy this weekend, with a couple small tweaks.

3.5 gal boil

9 lbs pale LME
0.5 lb crystal 40L
1.5 oz amarillo @ 60min
1 oz amarillo @ 45 min
1 oz amarillo @ 30 min
1 oz amarillo @ 15 min
0.5 oz amarillo @ flameout

White labs California Ale yeast
1 oz amarillo dry hop 10 days during keg force carbonation

BeerSmith estimates the ABV @ 6.53%

Wish me luck, opinions welcome!

I wonder effect an oz. with your grains when you steep? I recently made an IPA (AG) where I added an oz. of centennial with my grains during the mash. Couldn't really tell, but finished beer had tons aroma.

I wonder effect an oz. with your grains when you steep? I recently made an IPA (AG) where I added an oz. of centennial with my grains during the mash. Couldn't really tell, but finished beer had tons aroma.

Well, IN THEORY you should get more bitterness than aroma since you will be boiling them for the entire boil once the steeping phase is done. Should drive off a lot of the aroma volatiles..but the THEORY of brewing doesn't always account for the results!

Great recipe thread!

I'm going to brew this with a buddy this weekend, with a couple small tweaks.

3.5 gal boil

9 lbs pale LME
0.5 lb crystal 40L
1.5 oz amarillo @ 60min
1 oz amarillo @ 45 min
1 oz amarillo @ 30 min
1 oz amarillo @ 15 min
0.5 oz amarillo @ flameout

White labs California Ale yeast
1 oz amarillo dry hop 10 days during keg force carbonation

BeerSmith estimates the ABV @ 6.53%

Wish me luck, opinions welcome!

Brewed this on Sat night. Holy cow, the wort tasted great! OG was almost exactly what BeerSmith predicted.

The only mods we made to the above recipe were:
1) last 0.5 oz hops added @ 5 min
2) Wyeast American Ale yeast used instead of White Labs Cal Ale

Pitched at 80F (a bit warm), but happily bubbling away at 68F now. Will cold crash for a couple days before kegging with dry hops.

Brewed this beer last months, and after fermentation was complete and a week resting, I threw in some hops. Last night, after dry hopping for 8 days, I racked the beer. All I can say is that this was the best tasting and smelling beer I have ever had after so short a time in the primary. Even the turb, flavored with all the hops, smelled great - I hated to throw it away and was thinking of how I could re-use it, but into the garden it went.

The only thing is that this was the cloudiest liquid I have ever racked. Kind of wondering about that.

The only thing is that this was the cloudiest liquid I have ever racked. Kind of wondering about that.

If you used S-05 it will clear up in secondary/bottle. I always get cloudy S 05 out of primary, but it is always crystal clear by the time i drink!

bottled today after 3 weeks in primary. very light in color and very clear. OG was 1.068. it finished at 1.015. 6.92% ABV. hydro sample smelled and tasted wonderful. i cant wait for this one. i'm going to give it 1 month before i crack one open and see if theyre ready. once again this is what i did

5gal batch 3 gal boil
Steeped .5lb crystal 40 @ 160 for 20 mins
7lbs x light DME (added 3 lbs for 60mins. last 4 lbs at flameout)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (60 mins)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (15 mins)
1oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (5 mins)
1oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (Flame Out)
WLP001 california ale yeast

fermented in the low 60's for 3 weeks.

ok so it tasted so good at bottling that i decided to go ahead and make another batch right away. but i changed it up a little. i moved the late hop additions to a dry hop. this is what i did this time

5gal batch 3 gal boil
Steeped .5lb crystal 40 @160 fof 30 mins in 1g water (rinsed grain with 1g 170f water)
7lbs x light DME (added 3 lbs for 60mins. last 4 lbs at flameout)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (60 mins)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (15 mins)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (Dry Hop)

WLP001 california ale yeast

ferment in the low 60's for 4 weeks.

Williams supply just sent me info in the 2010 hops, and it seems Amarillo is over 10% this season, I really want to try this recipe again with the higher AA%.

I hope to brew this up this weekend, looks like i'll be using Munton's Gold for yeast, hoping that's a good sub for 05.

I hope to brew this up this weekend, looks like i'll be using Munton's Gold for yeast, hoping that's a good sub for 05.

If you can use Safale US-05 it's basically the same thing as White Labs Cal Ale or Wyeast 1056. If not, it'll be great anyway! :)

Finally was able to brew this up tonight, had an extra .5 oz of Amarillo so I did 1 oz at flameout.

I made this a few weeks ago and thought I'd supply some feedback. I increased the addition of hops by an ounce as the AA count was a bit lower than what the recipe called for. I think for this to be up the hop factor I'd want to see in an IPA I'll increase the hops even more. The result of my batch was fairly close to a Harpoon IPA (delicious) but without the hop punch I was looking for.

1.5 oz Amarillo at 60min
1 oz Amarillo at 10
1.5 oz at 5
1 oz at flameout.

I think I'll double the first two hop additions next time, and I'll supply feedback.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Brewed this up about a month ago and have it sitting in a keg right now. Took a sample the other day and wow was it good. The hops have such a grapefruit taste. Very drinkable. I am certainly going to be making another batch of this.

Any body use white labs burton ale yeast for this (WLP-023)? I have both Safale-05 and some washed burton ale yeast. Was hoping to use the ale yeast since it has less of a shelf life, but don't want to compromise the brew. I thought the ale yeast may perform better.

Thoughts?

Edit: Decided to run with it (based on what I read for burton ale yeast uses on white labs site - IPAs recc). Additionally since this yeast is good with fruity esters it should really lend to the grapefruitish amarillo hops. Made the recipe as stated with the burton ale yeast instead of Safale-05. Exact recipe with a 16 oz starter with 1/2 cup dme and the washed yeast. It is off and running! Almost dry hopped but I am gonna honor the recipe and try it as is. Luckily I have 5 oz of amarillo hops on stand by, I might just start another batch!

After reading all 22 pages of this thread I just had to try this one. My fermenting bucket just became available again.

I just returned from the LHBS and have everything ready for brewing this tomorrow morning.

Beergolf - go for it!

Funny, I just racked mine off into a keg last night, very very tasty beer, nice and in your face hoppy. I can see it is going to taste very similar to a local brew house's IPA - which I love. Obviously the beer is immature, but the grapefruit is coming through loud and proud, I assume a more pronouced maltiness will set in after aging, like the one at the local brew place near me. I think this one is going to be a big winner - I used to grab growlers from there.... Not when I can homebrew it!

Update:
Without question, using the Burton Ale yeast was a great choice. I will be brewing another batch of this in a few weeks - not sure if this will last long on draft, I can't put it down....

My Amarillo hops were torqued up a bit on their AAU's so that may have helped it as well (9.2% versus 8%).

Looking forward to trying this one. I brewed a batch last night using my last 4.8oz of amarillo hops pellets (additions at 60min, 30min, 15min, and 2min). Used amber DME because Midwest was sold out of light when I stopped in. Also am using the new Wyeast Headwaters Ale yeast, available only through Midwest. Going to do 3 1/2 or 4 weeks in primary. Can't wait to try this dark IPA when the snow begins to melt a bit in March! :mug:

UPDATE: Yikes. This thing is going gangbusters in my pale. Had to leave it in the bathtub last night in case the lid blew off! I've never had such an explosive fermentation before.

I brewed this yesterday. This is what I did:

5 gallon batch/ 3 gallon boil
4 pounds pale ale LME
3 pounds golden light DME
1.8 pounds 2 row caramel 40
1.5 oz Amarillo pellets at 60 minutes
1.5 oz Amarillo pellets at 20 minutes
1 oz Amarillo pellets at 5 minutes
1 oz Amarillo pellets at flame out
1 oz Amarillo pellets dry
Wyeast 1056

Process: Steep grains at 152 degrees for 30 minutes. Add the DME then bring to a boil. Add the LME at 10 minutes. I bagged all hops. Pitched at 78F, fermenting away at 66F.

The AA's on my pellets were 7.2%. :mad:

The grapefruit did tone down a lot from my initial drinking samples, but still there and nice and bitter. But this is still a great easy drinking (strong ABV but you won't taste it) IPA. I will be brewing it again soon, already grabbed more of the 9.2% hops in prep.

Borden - you mean dark IPA because you used the amber right? Otherwise - this one isn't dark at all by the original recipe.

Mine had a wicked violent ferment too, but I thought it was the burtons yeast I used, one of my favorites. I am waiting for my 6.5 carboy to free up for the next brew - I had some blow over on my 6.0 gallon carboy.

I brewed this today and can't wait to try it. I am going to dry hop it with another ounce in about 7 days.

Very cool fastmetal - I already ordered more dme and should get it wednesday. Hope to brew a second batch this weekend or midweek. This time i am going to dry hop.

You won't regret it - I kegged it on 1/11/11 (started drinking it on 1/15/11) - keg was kicked 1/29/11!

Just curious, for those of you who dry hopped, does the AAUs matter? I mean since the dry hopping is for aroma, it shouldn't matter about the AAU's rght?

I ask because I have 4oz of amarillo 9.2 and one of 7.6%, I was thinking of using the weaker AAU for dry hopping.

What do you guys think. Dry hopping time a weeks in the secondary? I have never dry hopped before, so thanks for any direction you can give.

Very cool fastmetal - I already ordered more dme and should get it wednesday. Hope to brew a second batch this weekend or midweek. This time i am going to dry hop.

You won't regret it - I kegged it on 1/11/11 (started drinking it on 1/15/11) - keg was kicked 1/29/11!

Just curious, for those of you who dry hopped, does the AAUs matter? I mean since the dry hopping is for aroma, it shouldn't matter about the AAU's rght?

I ask because I have 4oz of amarillo 9.2 and one of 7.6%, I was thinking of using the weaker AAU for dry hopping.

What do you guys think. Dry hopping time a weeks in the secondary? I have never dry hopped before, so thanks for any direction you can give.

I've dry hopped this in the secondary for 2 weeks. I've also made a different IPA and actually dry hopped in the keg. But either choice is recommended.

I've dry hopped this in the secondary for 2 weeks. I've also made a different IPA and actually dry hopped in the keg. But either choice is recommended.

Did you prefer either method over the other? Did you dy hop one ounce? Or another amount?

I can go keg or secondary for dry hopping, so if one produces better results than another, I will go that route.

Thanks for the info!

Brewed an AG version of this, but I subbed Nugget in for my 60 min. addition, just because.

Missed the gravity by a few points, not sure why.. but can't wait to see what the Amarillo brings.

I also have an all grain version of this in the fermenter right now.

13.5lb 2-row
.75 cara-pils
.50 crystal 40
2oz amarillo pellet hops 7.2% AA (60 mins)
1.5 amarillo pellet hops 7.2% AA (15 mins)
.5 amarillo pellet hops 7.2% AA (5 mins)
2oz amarillo pellet hops 7.2% AA (dry hop)
wyeast american ale II 1272

mashed at 150-151 for 90 mins

Brewing this one this Saturday. I have seen mention of using 1LBS of
crystal 40, but have not seen any replied results. Better balanced,too sweet? I have 1 pound and tring to decide which way to go.

Personally, I think 1 lb. would be fine. Is this AG? Mash at 150 if so. And what yeast are you using? Final gravity will be a factor in how sweet this is.

I kegged this, and pulled a little sample. It's pure grapefruit juice! This is my first time using Amarillo. Guess I'm going to have to wait for it to mellow.

I loved the early grapefruit sediment heavy days... but have no fear it will mellow out.

Personally, I think 1 lb. would be fine. Is this AG? Mash at 150 if so. And what yeast are you using? Final gravity will be a factor in how sweet this is.

Extract.I am going to do 1/2 lbs first and maybe 1 lbs the next go round. As for yeast im using US-04.

Extract.I am going to do 1/2 lbs first and maybe 1 lbs the next go round. As for yeast im using US-04.

I think a 1/2 lb would be fine. When you decide to go with 1 lb, switch to the 05 yeast. And steep your grain at 150. You could even to a partial mash with a couple lbs. of 2-row.

Well I did it to the recipe exept used US-04 and she bubbling away. I am going to brew this again next weekend except with US-05.What do yall think about subbing Special B(1/2lbs) instead of Crystal 40?

Back