Taste and smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madcat100

Reaction score
I was wanting to know what your beer tastes like just before bottling. I am not sure what GREEN beer tastes like could someone explain that a bit better. I know that before bottle it will be flat (no carbonation) but how close is this to the final result?

I find that it often depends upon what type of beer it is. If you really know your beer styles and are familiar with how they taste, you should be able to taste your 'green' beer and the taste will be similar, but have less body and be less complex. Beer really "grows up" during conditioning.

Well I am making an amber ale and it is almost time to bottle, I tasted the last sample and it seemed to taste "watered" down. I dont know if this is from being "green" or if I didnt use enough or steep my grains long enough. The flavors could develop over time but since I am new I dont have a benchmark to go by. I do want my beer to be lighter and less hoppy, I am not a big fan of bitter beer face.

"watered down" is probably a good description of an amber or brown ale before it conditions. It'll get a lot more complex in the bottle.

I tasted my first batch at all points in the process, too, just to try to learn what I could, and you will certainly have better beer by the time it ages. At least, mine sure was better. The flavor before bottling is certainly representative of the final product, but it would be kind of like looking at a car before the body panels are put on. It will be a lot better latter!

Latest posts

Back