Flip-top Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
Random question...

Including the metal bits and cap, what would you say the average diameter of the closed-mouth of a flip-top growler is?

If someone (or lots of someones) has one they could measure, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are you going to make a WNNNSBG? I can't think of any other reason why you'd need to know... by the way, do you want the inner or outer diameter? I can measure mine for you.

Thanks for the help!

The issue is: In Washington DC, in order to fill growlers, they have to become what DC considers a "Sealed Container" afterwards. This is typically done by putting perforated heat-shrink seals around the top, and then shrinking them on. BAM - sealed container.

This works great for screw-top growlers, but not so well for flip-tops. With the flip cap, metal latch, and larger diameter, finding perforated heat-shrink sleeves that would fit around is less easy... though I'm assuming not impossible.

SO... being at work and not having access to my growlers... I was hoping someone could measure theirs.

That said... I went back and I realized I should more properly be asking for the circumference including the flip cap and metal latch - not the diameter.

mine is a large 2L with swingtop>>>it would need a 2 inch shrink wrap

You're sure you're measuring the circumference and not just the diameter?

2" * π would be @6.283"
Circumference = Pi (π) times Diameter (C=pD), and then you'd need some wiggle room for the latch.

Just want to make sure before I put the cash down, since I have neither a tape measure nor a ruler here at work. (damn modern office jobs)

You're sure you're measuring the circumference and not just the diameter?

2" * π would be @6.283"
Circumference = Pi (π) times Diameter (C=pD), and then you'd need some wiggle room for the latch.

Just want to make sure before I put the cash down, since I have neither a tape measure nor a ruler here at work. (damn modern office jobs)

I am talking about the big swingtops with the metal handle like northern sells..I'll go measure it and get back with you...i was saying its about the size of 2" pipe, that was just a referance

If its a problem you could just donate the growlers to my collection.. I throw money in your direction, you solve the world growler problem

Here in Indiana, at the local Granite City location they put a piece of paper tape that rips when the container is opened that that seems to work for them. The tape has their logo on it and there is no way to take it off without tearing it.

ImperialWolf said:
Here in Indiana, at the local Granite City location they put a piece of paper tape that rips when the container is opened that that seems to work for them. The tape has their logo on it and there is no way to take it off without tearing it.

+1
In CA I've purchased growlers with the cap taped shut to meet the sealed container requirement.

Back