Dead Kegerator help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Darn it, my kegerator stopped cooling. The power is switching properly to the compressor. It get's really hot and goes out on the thermal protection. I talked to an appliance guy who said a freezer working at refrigerator temps would burn out the compressor every two years or so. Something about low pressure without ever running long enough or something. I really doubt that is true since I've had another small one working fine for 5 years or so.

Anywho, it's the one in the sig link below. Large chest type with 8 taps. Has anyone successfully swapped out a compressor on these things? I know it would probably be more expensive than a new keezer, but my time and effort is worth something too. Has anyone done an out of box thing like putting one of those $99 AC units sticking out the side or something? Any help would be appreciated. My beer is getting sadly warm.

Changing the compressor isn't easy. You need special equipment. I did appliance repair over 30 years and never heard under working a freezer would burn out the compressor faster.

Changing the compressor isn't easy. You need special equipment. I did appliance repair over 30 years and never heard under working a freezer would burn out the compressor faster.

Yeah, I don't have the equipment for the refrigerant recovery or evacuating the system. I would definitely get someone else to replace it. It will cost as close to what a new freezer would run, but I wouldn't have to change over all the other mods I've done.

Back