Brewing Software for PocketPC / Windows Mobile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiggingpig

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first time of posting I think but I've been lurking around for a while.

I've recently returned to home brewing after a break of about 7 years, since SWMBO got a new kitchen and banned me from brewing in there :(

I’ve finally got round to having a garage built so I can throw the car out and brew again :ban: :D

This was when I run into a problem, I now use BeerSmith for recipes, inventory, shopping list etc. but this is on my main pc in the house. This is very inconvenient when calculating strike temp for example coz my grain is stored in the garage !!

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2 phone which runs Windows Mobile 6.5 so I scoured the internet looking for a brewing assistant/calculator to run on it but I could not find one :( , iPhone and Android yes, but not WM :mad:

So I decided to write one myself in .NET CF 2.0, which was a bold move considering that the last programming I did was in Basic about 15 years ago :confused:

Considering the problem I had finding one I've decided to offer it out to others who may be in need of a similar program and might find this program useful.

This is written in .NET CF 2.0 for Windows Mobile Professional 6 or above and has been tested on a HTC Tytn II running WM 6.1 and HTC Touch Pro 2 running WM 6.5 . This is a beta version written by a rather rusty programmer learning .NET as he went along, but it does appear to work as intended. Please back up your system first, use at your own risk and don't come to me if your phone spontaneously combusts :rolleyes:.

The program contains the following tabs
Strike Temp Calc
Water heat time calc
2 brewing timer's coz I do double brew days
Brix SG calc
Water dilution calc

The program does appear to work as intended but please check its figures the first time you use it.

Any bug reports, comments or suggestions are welcome, but please be gentle :mug: .

Download from here http://www.swigging-pig.co.uk/BrewingCalc.cab

Cheers

Colin

You should build one for WP7... I'll pay .99 for it :)

I did not set out to make any money or charge for this app.

I needed a collection of tools and timers to make my brewing day easier. I couldn't find one so I wrote one and decided to offer it out, for free, to other people who may be in the same situation.

I don't have WP7 nor will I have it, at the end of this year I will change to Android.

Although .NET is supposed to be cross platform, it appears that it cannot cross from WM6* to WP7 using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. I was prepared to recompile for WP7 and bug fix but I'm not prepared to completely re-write it for WP7.

If I have to go through that pain barrier I'll do it for Android first.

Back