Brewing on the full moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not surprised, brewing, whether it is beer, wine, meads, and ciders, at one time or another were consider "sacred" beverages, as were the brewers of them. Alcohol regardless of the culture often had sacred significance as well. And since it's been made for millions of years it was often done by what we would deem "pagans" who put a lot of stock into the phases of the moon. And some of that carried forward even into Christianity. Many of our Christian holiday activities have their roots in pre-Christian worship. And there is some "moon" worship tied into that as well.

And in many parts of the world there are Christian activities that our highly influenced by old worship techniques. You hear about that happening in villages all around the world. Even in seeming "western" european countries.

This is a great book if you are interested in the role of alcohol and spirituality.

51SBD3S9HML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381667/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

acred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation by Stephen Harrod Buhner is a book that takes a devotes more than 500 pages to the ingredients and techniques that were once apart of beer brewing before the pale European lager conquered the world. It covers some beers that most beer nerds will have heard of and a few will have brewed, gruit, kvass, and sahti for example, but for the most part it talks about things that very few people will have heard of (let alone brewed), nettle beer, oak bark ale, and saffron beer for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done any tests on this theory? It seems like it would be pretty hard to produce an effective test, since one drink will have to have a different vintage than the next. There is no way to do an accurate side by side for tasting.

But you know, after reading this I have to say that it would be pretty fun to have a brew night lit by the light of a full moon (as long as i have the next day off)

I dont find the article to be do far fetched. The moon can control numerous things, why not the beer brewed on a night with a full moon?

If the moon, controls millions of gallons of water every day changing the tides. Why couldn't it change or effect the way a beer ferments?

I've noticed that Farmers Almanacs will also mention whcih days are best for brewing. I haven't noticed if these preferred days coincide with the full moon or not.

hmm so tonight the moon is at 73% and waning, which means this Sat, Oct 2nd will not be a full moon, yet the almanac says its a good day to brew. Guess they do not coincide. I think its still a good enough reason to brew on Sat. LOL

yeah there are a few beer producers who base brewing by the moon phase or tide.i think england it was. and have you everhad a kinggoblin? i know one thing that parasites are more active during a full moon which got me curious about yeast too.

interesting, astrological brewing. Maybe I should wait until the moon is in the house of gemeni to brew if I want to woo sexy twins?

I may have to get me hands on that book. Can't believe it never dawned on me to brew something with herbal and astrological correspondences. The most pagan I've gotten with a brew was coming up with a recipe for an Irish red in honor of Brigid, patron goddess of brewing.

Back