Infected Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascan

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of fermenting a batch, sand I'm concerned about it being infected.

The batch is an Irish stout. I didn't rack to a secondary fermenter. It is in it's second and a half week of fermentation ( i took a gravity reading at two weeks and it still had a bit to go to be in its final gravity range). The problem is what is floating on the beer. Aside from a bit of leftover krausen, there are small areas of floating orangish/beige dots (the dots have a diameter of about a millimeter, and there are two areas about two inches by two inches). The dots appear to be the same color of the dried krausen on the sides of the carboy.

There is no offsetting smell, and it tasted alright during the gravity check. I also have been pretty fastidious about cleanliness and sanitizing. Is there some way I'm able check before bottling within the next few days? Am I being completely paranoid? Would photos be more of a help in diagnosing this potential problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ascan said:
Am I being completely paranoid?

Yes :p

But don't worry, a lot of newbies are. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal. And if it tastes and smells good, then that is further confirmation that it is fine.

Thanks for the validation and support. A friend is telling me that I worry more about my beer coming out than he worried for his wife's first pregnancy. I'm not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing yet.

Latest posts

Back