Whirlpoolin pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarr21

Reaction score
Will using a smaller diameter hose from the output of my march pump to the whirlpool valve increase the pressure?

I'm looking to improve my whirl pooling power

I use 1/2" hose but have the end of the copper tube pinched a bit where is shoots back into the pot. Pinching the end makes it shoot a bit harder (like putting your thumb over the end of the garden hose) and makes the whirlpool stronger. Make sense?

Does this really help? I see how the restriction would increase the speed of the water coming out of your whirlpool arm, but at the cost of reducing the flow rate. I would have thought you'd get the best whirlpool by maximizing the amount of water going through the whirlpool arm, not it's speed.

I guess I'll have to play around with this...

I would have thought you'd get the best whirlpool by maximizing the amount of water going through the whirlpool arm, not it's speed.

It's sort of a momentum thing. Think about a really big tube. If you have 6gpm flowing from a 6" tube, you'll hardly have any velocity. The wort won't whirlpool faster than the velocity of the wort exiting the tube.

+1 on reducing the diameter only at the end...
I use a stainless hose barb. I think it's 1/4." If you go too small you could blow your silicone tubing.

It's sort of a momentum thing. Think about a really big tube. If you have 6gpm flowing from a 6" tube, you'll hardly have any velocity. The wort won't whirlpool faster than the velocity of the wort exiting the tube.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks! I'll give this a try.

Back