Valentine's Day - 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_mus

Reaction score
First Valentine's day with my girlfriend, been together about a year and live together.

Planning on picking up a few bottles of her favorite beer, cooking up a filet on the grill and something tasty to go with it. Later taking her late-night bowling. Haven't been in years myself, should be a riot.

What are you all doing with your SO?

Cooking her Steak Oscar with some roasted red potatoes and a bottle of red wine. Then we're going to a chocolate dinner at our local chocolatier.

My wife is picking up a pizza and antipasto from our favorite place in New Haven. White pie with sausage and artichoke. Nom.

Wish I could grill something, but my grill is currently under about 2 1/2 feet of snow.

LMAO...

I read "talk her into a late night blowing"

Ha, that's on the daily agenda!

Wish I could grill something, but my grill is currently under about 2 1/2 feet of snow.

As a Vermont native who also lived in New York for 10 years - I feel your pain. I bbq almost every day in honor of those who can't!

Feeding and taking care of 5 month old twins. Then probably passing out around 8 or 9?

I'm too old for that kind of partying, I can't keep up! :D

Im hit double - its her birthday also

Oh ouch, the double whammy. What are you planning?

As a Vermont native who also lived in New York for 10 years - I feel your pain. I bbq almost every day in honor of those who can't!

Whereabouts in NY? I'm from LI originally. Been in CT for just about 6 years now.

I gave up, just a lot of smiling and saying " whatever you want is fine with me honey" . There is really no right plan here, especially since her younger sister ( by 5 years) who passed away a couple years ago shared the same birthday. Today is hellday

Whereabouts in NY? I'm from LI originally. Been in CT for just about 6 years now.

Upstate in Saratoga Springs for most of the time. Spent quite a bit of time downstate too.

NYC is such a great city but I'm loving Los Angeles too (5 years in). Haven't missed the winters/seasons, not even once.

h04B2F9AA

Ha, I really figured with all the SWMBO talk on here, that there would be more posts on this topic. 2013 is apparently the year of the lone brewer?

Nothing, we don't celebrate valentines day. We've been together since we were 16, so almost 14 years. We don't like the idea of using a commercialized day as a reason to treat each other any more special. I'll randomly get her flowers and do special dinners because it means more that way.

For the first time in a long time I didn't get my gf anything. We're saving our money because we may have a move coming soon.

If anyone wants any tips on how to do it right especially for under 100 bucks, my first 2 years were pretty much spot on.

First year I got her a Scottie Dog Stuffed Animal (my first name is Scott) with a silver pendant type of thing, and I tried to order flowers, but if you lived in the area and remembered that year, there was a huge snow storm and she lived in Philly, if you know anything about Philly, they don't plow side steets ever so my 1800Flowers order never came. Got a refund and used that to get different flowers later. We didn't go out Valentine's Night because I had to work and we went out the night before and dropped about 200 bucks on food and beer. I have no clue why they kept serving us. We got into a fight over what songs to play on the Jukebox. She also did great that year, got me an Ommegang Chalice (which is still my only drinking vessel for big belgians) and an Ommegang Hoodie which though it has some holes, I still wear.

The following year we had less money because she didn't have a full time job and I wasn't in sales anymore (and the economy was in the crapper to boot) so I got her a nice flower arrangement and baked her cupcakes. Which I'll discuss after the setup. Because of the year before and not gettnig her flowers she was worried about not getting them again, and was interviewing for a job in New York. Long story short her interview went terrible and I kept texting her that I didn't think the Flowers would come (they did thankfully or I would have felt bad) and she walked in the door sad and I had laid out nearly on our coffee table her roses and this cupcake.

180122_10150112870758961_1573343_n.jpg

even though I didn't succeed in making a great looking strawberry heart, it worked out well. BTW I don't have the recipe on hand but that's one of the best cupcakes I've ever had (certainly the best I've made) base is a simple chocolate with the middle scooped out and filled with a strawberry whipped cream, and topped with a chocolate cream cheese frosting. It's so fatty but so good.

My wife doesn't take V-Day too seriously. So long as I got her a card, chocolates, and flowers she's pretty happy. We're doing dinner tonight because I have night classes M-Thrs this semester. Plus it's nice to not have to go out and deal with the rush on V-Day. Her birthday though is in two weeks and then our wedding anniversary is shortly after. I call this time of year, "The Gauntlet".

I didn't do anything on the day. But we're going out for the weekend to enjoy a comedy and winter festival upstate. Watching Spaceballs at midnight tonight and just before that, the guy from 30 Rock who wears the funny hats is doing standup. On Sat probably some walking around, maybe a movie, some food and some beer.

Got a head start on the rest of the agenda this morning...

Goofynewfie said:
Im hit double - its her birthday also

Mine as well. Makes it great because I only have to remember one day but it's a very expensive day :)

Got her some nice jewelry for her birthday. For Valentines day I took the day off of work and deep cleaned the house top to bottom for her, had a glass of white wine waiting for when she got home and cooked up a nice pasta dinner. Tonight the kids are going to the grandparents house and we get an adult night out.

First Valentine's day with my girlfriend,

What are you all doing with your SO?

Well, I'm a little late to this thread as yesterday was Valentine's day, but the day before was our 12th wedding anniversary, so for all you newlyweds, that means that the odds of me gettin any are slim and none on either of those days anymore.

That's what y'all have to look forward to....Oh, but don't think that you aren't still required to provide all the material parts that go along with both days.:(

Back