BIAB/ mashtun Immersion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssdunn25

Reaction score
Ok so i have been looking into switching over to all grain from extract brewing for almost a year now and i think i have decided on a modified BIAB setup. My plan is to take my turkey fryer kettle and cut out a hole in the bottom and intall a false bottom to be my mashtun. I have a keggle that I will be using as my kettle, and made the opening large enough for my mashtun to fit through. The frame will simply be a weldless build extending a few feet above the keggle so I can install a pully to lift the mashtun from the kettle. I will use a pump to recirculate the wort into the mashtun to form a decent grain bed. My question here is has anyone seen a build like this before? I havent come accross anything like it other then the traditional BIAB setup. Anyways tell me what your thoughts are with this.

I will post pictures once the build is finished, I am also considering adding another keggle to use as a HLT so I can sparge.

It seems to me to be a lot of work for a kludge that may not work right anyway. Why not start by doing a batch or 2 BIAB right in the turkey fryer so you know what that is like. If you hate the process or outcome, then think about modifications.

It seems like it might be easier to get a cooler for a mash tun, BIAB (no-sparge, full volume) mash in that, then drain that into the kettle. Basically a 2-vessel set up.

If you add a HLT you'll pretty much have a normal 3 vessel set up and it wouldn't be a BIAB anymore.

OK that's pretty much what I needed to hear. I have enough equipment for a three vessel setup, I was just looking for something that would be smaller and still be able to produce a decent amount per batch since I live in an apartment and only have a patio space.

Back