burning eyes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So im making AG beer inside the house today to help heat the place and my eyes are burning. More noticably when im standing over the pot, what is going on?

Dude, don't use a propane burner indoors! All kinds of issues with carbon monoxide and other gasses and harmful fumes and carbon compounds! Only brew in a well ventilated area!

i looked around and there a people that brew with propane in basements and garages sometimes not ventilating them because its cold. I don't think the by products of combustion are what cause my eyes to burn because i don't feel it until i am boiling the wort. anyone else have the burning eyes from wort?

i looked around and there a people that brew with propane in basements and garages sometimes not ventilating them because its cold. I don't think the by products of combustion are what cause my eyes to burn because i don't feel it until i am boiling the wort. anyone else have the burning eyes from wort?

That's because some people have low emission burners. What kind of burner are you using? If it's just a standard turkey fry burner, that is not safe!

I am using electric power, heat sticks n stuff...

If you are using regular propane burners inside, don't tell people about it, I am pretty sure your local fire-marshals might prosecute you.

ReDim said:
If you are using regular propane burners inside, don't tell people about it, I am pretty sure your local fire-marshals might prosecute you.

Ya know, unless he's dead first...

Just did some searching to confirm theories I have:

It could likely be carbon monoxide. Burning eyes are a known symptom of CO exposure and the reason you get the burning at the boil is because there hasn't been enough CO built up in your house during heating of mash/sparge water.... by the time you're boiling the CO will have risen to dangerous (read: eye burning) levels.

Long story short (and to reiterate): DON'T BURN PROPANE INDOORS!

Having same burning eye problem heating wort using an electric burner.... 37 other boils had no problem. This one is a copy of the fist one I ever tried and wow is it burning my eyes. Thinking maybe a microbiological contamination that had a bad byproduct that off gasses something acidic.

I went to the doctor and said, it hurts when I do this. The doctor said, well, then don't do that.
Considering the thread is 10 years old, I don't know the OP is around to see it -
but it's still something to keep in mind with the winter coming / here in force for the year.
Doesn't matter how cold, don't brew with propane indoors, even a garage. If you have to do it under cover, make sure there's ventilation, both fresh air in and exhaust out. I use electric and I still keep the air flowing to keep humidity down.

So im making AG beer inside the house today to help heat the place and my eyes are burning. More noticably when im standing over the pot, what is going on?
If you are using a brew bag; check it. You may have burned the bottom or left a plastic stir spoon in the pot. I have burnwd my brew bag and essentially the melted (burned) polyester fumes come up through the wort and burn yiur eyes and nose. It is why it is a good idea to donthis in a well ventilated area (kitchen with vent fan, by a window, or outside)

Back