Falconer's Flight/Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wailingguitar

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be a special day. I am brewing a recipe based on a beer that I did in a pub some years ago (it went through a few incarnations at the time), which in turn was based on Rogue Red Ale... I will be using exclusively Falconer's Flight. Glenn Falconer was there the first day I went to work at Rogue (late summer '95), he trained me that day ... we talked beer, Jethro Tull and all sorts of foolishness. We were friends from then on... visited each other's pubs, etc. This beer is a tribute to you Glenn, I miss you buddy... :(

4.5 # Pale Ale Malt
4.5# Munich 7
1# Cara Munich
1# C90
0.5# Honey Malt
0.5# Victory

(hop additions are 1 oz each Falconer's Flight)
Flameout
(aprox 49 IBU)

S-04

I usually mash hot, around 158... I think this grain bill may want a lower temp, 150ish, or it will be a little syrupy :D

Looks good. I've really wanted to do a Red lately. This one might just fit the bill. I want to use the new FF 7Cs I read about on my LHBS website today.

Thanks... I am looking forward to this one... If you try it, or a variation of it, let me know how it works for ya. Excited to check out the 7Cs too!

I'm tryin it. I got 3oz of FF left from a different recipe. I'll post.

Cool, I hope you like it!

When I was making this in the pub, I started with essentially Rogue Red... altered ingredients according to what I had on hand... it went through several incarnations, bumping the maltiness/gravity up several times... eventually it was sort of a Rogue Red on steroids LOL The above is scaled down from my 10bbl recipe with a few more tweaks to the grain bill. I guess you could call it a "great grandchild" brew :D

I decided a month or two ago to do something with some Falconer's Flight, wasn't sure what at first. I went through some files and saw my old red recipe. Seemed a nice, full circle way to pay a little tribute to my friend.

wailingguitar said:
Cool, I hope you like it!

When I was making this in the pub, I started with essentially Rogue Red... altered ingredients according to what I had on hand... it went through several incarnations, bumping the maltiness/gravity up several times... eventually it was sort of a Rogue Red on steroids LOL The above is scaled down from my 10bbl recipe with a few more tweaks to the grain bill. I guess you could call it a "great grandchild" brew :D

I decided a month or two ago to do something with some Falconer's Flight, wasn't sure what at first. I went through some files and saw my old red recipe. Seemed a nice, full circle way to pay a little tribute to my friend.

Absolutely, RIP.

I'm drinking my all FF IPA, and I feel like the hops give it a slight candy like flavor

Hey Wailing,

I'm reworking this recipe in BrewTarget, but I don't have a ton of info on 7Cs. I have AA, BA, and Cohumulone. I suppose that's all I'll really need, but I was wondering if you have any more. Even LD Carlson doesn't have any more.

Hey Wailing,

I'm reworking this recipe in BrewTarget, but I don't have a ton of info on 7Cs. I have AA, BA, and Cohumulone. I suppose that's all I'll really need, but I was wondering if you have any more. Even LD Carlson doesn't have any more.

Well, I'm using the original Falconer's blend, not the 7Cs... and at that, I only have the 3oz I got for this recipe. AHB is my pusher and they seem to have those, but don't even have a listing for 7C. Sorry I couldn't be of any real help on that.

My gravity came out to 15 Plato/ 1.061 SG... pretty jazzed, nailed the same gravity as I got the last time I did this on a commercial system :D Color of the wort was a beautiful deep garnet, smelled awesome all the way through. Need to dial in my Bayou Classic though, have been brewing on an electric stove top lately, kettle straddled two burners and with both on HIGH I had the perfect boil... I need to brew outside though, so I need to get this thing worked out. I had a couple small boilovers, but nothing serious. Now, wash my kettle and heat ex, then it's off to a late lunch with my kids. It is a good day.

So are you getting a better than 70% efficiency? About 77%? Can I assume 1.061 is the intended OG? I'm not sure my efficiency will be as high as yours, so I may have to bump up the grainbill a little to get there. Want to make this as close as I can to your original. I still need to do a little more work to get my actual efficiency numbers nailed down.

Right, I get between 78 and 80% efficiency with my system. Simple cooler mlt, basic sparge, runoff for an hour. I was shooting for 1.060 and was jazzed to hit it since I had never done this beer at home before.

I put mine in fridge yesterday, will fine it tomorrow and keg on Tuesday. Very excited ... also excited to hear what you think! :D

Beer is fined (gelatin) and a couple days in the keg. Carb level is nice. Color came out beautiful. Flavor leans towards the grapefruity hops, but has a malt sweetness and nuttiness in the background. Turned out quite nice... :D cheers to you Glen, wherever you are! :mug:

I will do this again, and I can also see myself doing the same grainbill with a different hop schedule that is more to my normal tastes... I'm thinking all EKG/Fuggle and about 35IBU

Looks like a cool recipe, and of course a great story.

What lov is the caramunich you used? weyermann has a few options.

Great story & idea. This is what the brewing community is all about. I especially like the Jethro Tull reference :)

Thanks Montanaandy :)

Glen loved Tull and I was jazzed to meet someone who was even more enthusiastic about them than I was! He could, and would! go on about "Benefit" and "This Was" for HOURS! :D

Here is the beer... not the best pic, bad lighting, but it just about gets the point across. :D

RedAlePintPic.jpg

Picked up the ingredients yesterday with plans to brew Tuesday. I got an extra ounce of 7C's for a dry hop, as I'm wanting to get a good sense for these hops. And also, I'm a bit of a hophead (as is SWMBO) so I think it will turn out nice. I'm really looking forward to this. I put off the first 5-gallon trial of an IPA clone I worked up in order to get this one going ASAP.

Just bottled this bad boy this morning. Holy Hell does it smell good. Nose on the bottling leftovers is citrus, with a pretty strong apricot presence. The color is absolutely beautiful. I haven't been more excited for a beer in my short brewing career! I don't know if I'll be able to make it 3+ weeks.

Just bottled this bad boy this morning. Holy Hell does it smell good. Nose on the bottling leftovers is citrus, with a pretty strong apricot presence. The color is absolutely beautiful. I haven't been more excited for a beer in my short brewing career! I don't know if I'll be able to make it 3+ weeks.

Nice! So, how did this turn out for ya once it did it's thing? :tank:

Back