Yeast didn't floculate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
A brewing buddy of mine hade this weird thing happen to him. We both brewed a batch of beer, same recipe and used a portion from the same slurry of yeast (maybe he used more yeast than me I wasn't present when he pitched it), Using 1056. Mine flocked out like normal his has a buch of yeast still in suspension when he pouurs from the keg. Only difference is his keg partially froze in his kegerator. Would that prevent his yeast from being able to floculate?? Any suggestions to get the beer to clear would be helpful.
Thanks!

How soon after fermentation did he keg it? I brewed an American Wheat with S-05 (similar yeast strain) this past spring. I kegged it after 7 days in the primary, and force carbonated it. 3 days later I was drinking it. The beer tasted great, but I had yeast in suspension in every pour the same way you describe your friend's brew. My guess was that I kegged it too soon, and should have let the beer sit for at least another week in the primary (or racked to the secondary) so that the yeast could settle.

nope definatly yeast off white tiny clumps of yeast. I'm sure it had something to do with the beer freezing just wondering if some gelatine in the cornie will do any good to help flock it out or is that just for protien haze?? only other advice can give him is pour through a sieve.

nope definatly yeast off white tiny clumps of yeast. I'm sure it had something to do with the beer freezing just wondering if some gelatine in the cornie will do any good to help flock it out or is that just for protien haze?? only other advice can give him is pour through a sieve.

pour through a sieve

wow...that much yeast

did the beer freezewhile fermenting? is his beer sweeter? i'm thinking his beer didn't finnish attenuating and the yeast never settled out...

did you guys take gravity readings? how many days did the beer ferment before kegging? even if he did use more yeast than you to ferment, i would think that would make his beer ferment out faster therefore clear faster... its def possible that he just simply pulled a lot more sediment into the keg than you. i've frozen beer in the kegerator before and i never had any issues with clarity once thawed.

Maybe you got the yeast off the bottom of the cake? The yeast near the bottom will tend to floc out better than those at the top of the cake.

He actually took his yeast out first so it was at the top of the yeast cake. We got the yeast from a brewery, 2 gallons of it and we made 30 5 gal batches Nobody else had this problem so I am certain it isn't the yeast (unless it became infected during his process). I'll have him take a gravity reading. I did taste it and it wasn't too sweet. there is just an annoying amount of yeast clumps in every pour from the keg.

Back