clearing a I.P.A. I need help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgundnik

Reaction score
I bought a IPA kit and it includes a gelatin pack to be add at the end of fermination then let sit for 3 to 4 days before bottling. What i was wondering is it necessary to do this step or can I go straight to bottling without trying to clarify it. Also if I do add the gelatin does it have to be in the 2nd fermination or can I do it in the first fermination carboy?

Gelatin binds +ve charged proteins tannins and other such small suspended particles. It can be used to help clear haze and tannins in beer and wine. It should be used in a beer that has already cleared as much as possible with cold and gravity (time). If you add it to a beer where there is a lot of yeast then the gelatin will bind out to all the yeast and none will be left to bind out your small particles that you wanted to settle (it will overload the gelatin).

Having said that, most beer recipes can be cleared satisfactorily with just some time and cold storage. It will not make much of a change to your taste (unless you are trying to fine out tannins). So if a sparklingly clear beer is not a priority, you don't have to bother.

Two things...

Cold crashing for a couple days will help clear it up, then if you're so inclined, you can add the finings. This would be after you sit in the primary for close to 3 weeks.

And...it's Fermentation, not Fermination:cross::mug:

I agree with everything already said, but you do not need to clarify it if you don't want to -- it won't hurt the taste. It's up to the brewer.

Back