first brew fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
my first real 5 gallon that is. while boiling the wort i bottled my Mr Beer pal ale, it tasted like beer, a little vinagery though, at least it seamed that way to me.

anyway, i did a 5 gallon batch of american wheat. put it in the fermenter and it read 1.052, after a couple hours i started hearing it bubble so i must have done something right. now to wait 6 weeks to give it a try!

While you're waiting, you can shovel some snow! Where in CNY are you?

already blew out the driveway this afternoon. im in Liverpool, are you a fellow ny'er?

Originally from the Roch area. We live in the ADK's near Whiteface now. Cold as balls up here. The woodstove's having a hard time keeping up. Good luck on your brew!:mug:

i would love to live up there, my parents spend a week camping in the placid area every year. i just started going again this year. if my wife and i could find good paying jobs we would move there in a heartbeat. maybe once my photography takes off i will have enough income from it to support a move to the Adirondacks, i grew up a little south of Old Forge.

check out the new group i just started for NY state members.

HomeBrewTalk Groups - Empire State Home Brewers

i added the yeast to my fermenter around 1:00 this afternoon, its already bubbling every 4 seconds. is it normal to pick up that fast? i was figuring i wouldn't be hearing much until late tomorrow!

first batch is bubbling like crazy this morning. when i got up the thermometer read around 63 degrees, is this ok or too low?

wish it was in a carboy so i could see it doing its thing!

is it normal to pick up that fast?

... is this ok or too low?

Calm down....everything is fine...your job is done for a couple weeks...all you had to do was build a clean and sanitiary office building for the yeasties and stock it with plenty of food and materials...You've done that...So now let them do what they've been doing for 3 thousand years and have been doing it without our help longer than we've even known what yummy stuff they were producing...

Now quit hovering over it like a nervous parent, it can and will do fine without you...

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Now go buy a 6 gallon better bottle and start another batch...that way you'll forget about this one.

:D

(By the way you will find that there is nothing normal about any fermentation, when you are working with living yeasts there's always a wildcard factor involved, so NEVER assume anything is wrong becasue it's not behaving how YOU think it should be, and when you think it should be...)

rev, im as calm as can be, just asking questions in hopes that some day i will be as well respected for my lack of knowledge as you are! my fermenter is about 10ft from my computer so im listening to it as i surf and do laundry so questions keep popping up.

sorry, im a newb!

No worries nvr2low. Revvy is good, just take it in stride. Us Noobies unfortunately have repeditive questions for the Old Hats. There isn't probably a question they haven't heard... But to us it's "All New" and dramatic.

Revvy knows his stuff and is a good guy, he is just doing his best to keep things from getting out of hand this time of year with all the repetition oo questions.

I'm right there with ya on the "Hear it bubble" bit. I went to sleep the first night and swore I could hear every bubble through the air valve.... 60 ft away!
It's only 6 days in and I'm still giddy.

Take their recomendation though, when you start to get that feeling you want to check it..... don't. Just get another batch going! =) Start that pipeline and don't forget to fix the little things you did wrong the first time.
Have a great time and welcome to the Noobie crowd!

thanks, i know rev is a good guy, just busting his balls. we got off on the wrong foot a couple days ago, but it made a quick turn to us busting balls!

:mug:

thanks, i know rev is a good guy, just busting his balls. we got off on the wrong foot a couple days ago, but it made a quick turn to us busting balls!

Your post counts too low to bust my balls newb! :D

You don't earn the right to bust anyone's balls here unless you a) buy a membership, or b) Break a hundred posts (and even then if the one you wanna bust is a nice guy like me...I wouldn't try it with someone like Evan! until you had 1,000...he'd tear yours off.)

So you're still skating on thin ice for another 7 posts with me there kiddo...:fro:

(but since you're already stepping in and helping I'll cut you some slack)

6 posts, thank you very much!

i do what i can to help with my limited brewing knowledge. luckily im on the staff of one forum and i was an admin on another for a couple years so i know how to tell noobs to search sticky's!

Back