Floaters in my "BM Helles Belles"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
I brewed a BierMuncher Helles Belles. It turned out great but damn do I have some serious floaters. Looks more like the Smutty Nose IPA beer. Below is the recipe (I did half for a 5 gallon batch).

15.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

3.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (60 min)

1 Pkgs Wyeast 2565

Irish Moss, 15 minutes

Mash at 154 for 90 minutes.

I fermented the beer in primary at ~60-65 degrees F (2 Weeks here); Then racked to Secondary with grain bag around the end of my racking cane (secondary for a week). Added Gelatin a few days prior to bottling. Racked to bottling bucket again with grain bad around he bottom of the racking cane.

I was expecting the beer to be much clearer than it is. Well it is pretty clear but alot of floaters made it in. It tastes great and has great carbonation so I certainly will certainly drink it up quick but just curious on what others think. :tank:

Anyone had a similar experience with the Wyeast Kolsch 2565 being messy and causing these floaters or could it possibly be the gelatin? It looks like yeast though :drunk:

It's just yeast, you're fine. I haven't used the wyeast strain, but the few times I've used white labs kolsh yeast I saw the same thing.

I did notice leaving the bottle in the fridge a few days helped reduce the floaters so they must be dropping ou of solution. As I said the beer tastes great and I don't mind them I just don't understand why this beer wasn't anywhere near as clear as my others. I guess I don't know enough about attenuation etc. Maybe that had something to do with it.

different yeasts attenuate differently. Also leaving them to chill will help stuff fall down just like cold crashing in a carboy, just on an individual level.

did you take any pic's? It is possible that it could be from protein in the malt; I have had similar issues; but not with pils malt.
No I didn't take any pics yet but I will try tonight and post them. Good thought. I wouldn't know the difference between protein or yeast floaters.

Latest posts

Back