bottled my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Ok i finally bottled the first batch with the help of my lovely wife! It went ok I guess but I do have a couple concerns. We started transferring to the bottling bucket befor we added the priming sugar water but we realized it quite early. Less than a gallon transferred. So we stopped went and boiled the sugar water. Cooled it.added it then went back to transferring.well my wife was transferring while I was cleaning bottles and I guess one of her hairs got in the batch somehow because when we were filling the bottles toward the end I noticed one of her hairs hung in between the wand and hose.... Think it will be ok? Also I forgot to gently stir the beer with the priming sugar but I did let it sit for about an hour after adding the sugar. Think I need to worry about hot spots in my bottles? And finally I used starsan to sanitize my bottles and didn't rinse just let drip for a few. That's fine right?

Not stirring has definitely left me with some variable carbonation in my batches. You should be fine on the other counts.

Ok i finally bottled the first batch with the help of my lovely wife! It went ok I guess but I do have a couple concerns. We started transferring to the bottling bucket befor we added the priming sugar water but we realized it quite early. Less than a gallon transferred. So we stopped went and boiled the sugar water. Cooled it.added it then went back to transferring.well my wife was transferring while I was cleaning bottles and I guess one of her hairs got in the batch somehow because when we were filling the bottles toward the end I noticed one of her hairs hung in between the wand and hose.... Think it will be ok? Also I forgot to gently stir the beer with the priming sugar but I did let it sit for about an hour after adding the sugar. Think I need to worry about hot spots in my bottles? And finally I used starsan to sanitize my bottles and didn't rinse just let drip for a few. That's fine right?

Starsan use, exactly correct.

Hair in beer... Seriously wouldn't worry about it.

Not mixing after adding sugar.... That has me worried. Sugar syrup just kind of falls to the bottom. But if it wasn't too thick, and you got some churning while transferring the rest of the beer, you should be ok. Put them in a box to be safe.

Should be fine on all accounts. I don't stir my priming mix. I just let the beer swirl on top of it when I rack to the bottling bucket. The beer and priming mixture are close to the same density so they mix very easily. Now you have to name your beer after the color if you wives hair... Cheers!

I didnt stir my first 5 batches or so, then did stir the rest. Have not noticed a real difference. You did fine, welcome to the obsession.

Stirring will help with consistency from bottle to bottle, but the 4 gallons that siphoned into the bucket stirred it more than you think. Don't worry about the hair either - I shudder to think how much cat hair goes into every batch I brew :D

As was said - now the hard part. Store those babies in a 70 degree spot (or as close as you can get) and try to forget about them for three weeks!

Congrats and enjoy that first beer on the 8th of February! :mug:

well my wife was transferring while I was cleaning bottles and I guess one of her hairs got in the batch somehow because when we were filling the bottles toward the end I noticed one of her hairs hung in between the wand and hose....

Hahaha... I had a dog that eats his own turds drink beer out of a bucket of unfermented wort while I wasn't looking one time and it ended up becoming one of my favorite brews. You're fine :D

Back