Leak in my new Keezer :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBug

Reaction score
I am nearing completion of my coffin keezer build. I moved it into the house after I had all the stain a poly done on it. Figured I could do the tile work inside. Well I had a keg of beer in it already on one tap for about one month so I know everything has been working.

Last night I filled a 3 gal. keg with a just finished black IPA and threw it in the keezer. Everything was working great...so I thought. I walked downstairs this morning and it smelled like beer (not that that was so bad.) Opened up the keezer to see that I had a bunch of black IPA in the bottom :(

I found out that the beer line swivel nut had not been attached tightly to the keg disconnect. Frustrating but things could have been worse I guess; I found it this morning and not on tomorrow night since we are leaving on a trip till then. I only lost about 1/2 gallon. Fortunately it did not leak out the drain hole too much to get on the carpet. I just needed to clean out the freezer and dry the wood frame since some beer had leaked out the drain onto the frame.

After thinking about it, I know I left the swivel nuts loose on the disconnects in case I needed to adjust. I guess I forgot I did that when I hooked this one up (they are all tight now.) Live and learn I guess.

MORAL OF THE STORY - ALWAYS CHECK FOR TIGHT CONNECTIONS ON YOUR SYSTEM.

Here is a picture of my suspect.
keezer-1-57642.jpg

keezer-2-57643.jpg

I would say just get rid of it. It's probably evil. I'll pm you an address that will dispose of it properly for you.

Glad to help.

Latest posts

Back